• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another Wine Shocker?

Stone

The recent Petrus thread made me think twice about this experience.

Three friends and I recently had an amazing meal at a nice restaurant in NY. I brought a bottle of red (Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou, St.-Julien 1996) and asked the waiter to pair whites for the early fish courses of our tasting menu.

The first course was paired with a white Bordeaux -- excellent. A rose was served with the next. Before the meat was brought out, another friend of mine who was dining with her father nearby sent us each a taste of her '86 Haut Brion. The waiter announced that it was a mid-course tasting. Outstanding of course. We finished with my bottle.

When the bill came, we were charged for two glasses each of the white Bordeaux and the rose (although 4 glasses of each were poured), the expected $35 corkage on my bottle, and $40 for something I believe was called "mid-course".

I saw a total of 8 glasses poured, which was what we had -- 4 each of the white Bordeaux and the rose. It was late, I was a tad tipsy, and we had all had a great time, so I just paid the bill, with an ample tip. I didn't give it much thought until the next day, when I realized that they may have charged us $10 a glass to taste the wine that my friend sent over. Is it possible that the white Bordeaux and rose were poured for each course they poured us "half-glasses" (thus charging only for two each), and then charged for tasting my friend's wine?

There were 4 of us.

It's possible/probable that we received half-glasses of the White Bordeaux and Rose.

The Mid-Course Taste of '86 HB was from a bottle brought by my friend. She sent over the tastes (4 small glasses). I assumed they were free.

Maybe you paid your friend's corkage plus a little extra since they had to cart it to another table :biggrin:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz