• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's next?

baphie

Freisa. Pigato. Ciliegiolo. What's next on the horizon for devoted DEWNies?

Have you considered working with some of the autochthonous grapes of the Balkans and Baltic regions?

It is always a treat to receive my DEWN wine suprises. Thanks for keeping wine fun and surprising. And pass on a special thanks to Rachel at DEWN Central for being my hook-up.

A.

Dear Baphie,

Thanks very much for your note and your very kind wishes. Frankly, making the DEWN wines is like shooting TV episodes. Sometimes they are aired immediately; some spend some time in the can and it's hard to remember which ones are getting shipped exactly when. There is a great "Cigare Alternative B", which is a blend of grenache, syrah and carignane and very southern French. There is the Cigare Trifecta ( a blend of 3 vintages of Cigare w/ some lees replacement therapy) and then there is a sweet syrah that was fermented cold like a riesling, that is just plain weird. D'accordo on the pigato - that is currently rocking my world. There is also a very good off-dry riesling that we made from our own vineyard from the Neustadt clone - very Pfalz-like. I'm still waiting to make the Protocol of the Elderberries of Scion (a blueberry/elderberry wine made like a big red). There are many, many more but my brain has somehow gone on strike. I'll pass your good wishes on to Rachel. Cheers, R.