• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

All-State is 72nd btw B'way and West End (south side of street), right?

It's near the subway, for those travelling, so why don't we go with that?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Right now this is an informal drinking club event, rather than burger club.

Anymore people thinking of joining us? Alternate times or locales?

In that case why don't we go for the Piper's Kilt with their all you can drink "brunch". A burger plus unlimited refills for $11.95.

As stand in event organizer, I'd prefer All State (it's 4 blocks from home). Of the 6 who've said they'll attend, I imagine R Washburn, Picaman and Kirk might prefer Piper's Kilt while me, Elyse and Bloviatrix would prefer Allstate. Inwood could be a long uphill snowy bike ride Sunday.

A large clamor from the attendees could change the decision.

the list so far:

picaman

kirk

mhesse

elyse

bloviatrix

r washburn

Any else want to get together with us?

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Felonius, m, criminy! Do I have to do EVERYTHING? :biggrin:

(maybe you cross posted).

the list so far:

picaman

kirk

mhesse

elyse

bloviatrix

r washburn

felonius

possibles:

Lurker

a lurker

Join us at Allstate (south side of 72nd, tween Bway and West End) this Sunday, 12/14 at 1pm for socializing, imbibing, possible eating. I remember having good fried chicken there years ago.

--mark

Right now this is an informal drinking club event, rather than burger club.

Anymore people thinking of joining us? Alternate times or locales?

In that case why don't we go for the Piper's Kilt with their all you can drink "brunch". A burger plus unlimited refills for $11.95.

We'll be going to Piper's Kilt eventually. Sunday is not a burger day. We will be going back to All State for burgers at another time, NOT day after tomorrow.

Inwood could be a long uphill snowy bike ride Sunday.

Inwood is a bit of a schlep, especially in nasty weather. In addition, I think it might a fun field trip for whoever was interested after Piper's Kilt Burger Club to take the bus to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx (~15 minutes away), and this would be best on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

So I vote for Allstate. See ya there?

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

In addition, I think it might a fun field trip for whoever was interested after Piper's Kilt Burger Club to take the bus to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx (~15 minutes away), and this would be best on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

As if we needed further inducement.

YES!!!!! Maybe when we can feel sure of good weather?

But first, Blue Smoke in January. How soon after the holidays? Saturdays are:

1/3 -- a very important day for me :blush: which I would love to spend with BC

1/10

1/17

1/24

1/31 (hey, a bonus!)

I just managed to extract myself from bed (late night last night). :blush:

Snow, Saddam...all sorts of interesting stuff goin' on this morning.

I think I'm going to go back to bed in about 5 minutes, so it looks like I'm going to take a raincheck for this afternoon's non-BC funfest. Have a ginger ale for me, will ya?

Sherri A. Jackson

1/10

1/17

1/24

1/31 (hey, a bonus!)

1/18 is pie potluck, so I recommend not the 17th - need room for pie. Also prefer not the 24th - not for Superbowl, but for fantasy baseball reasons.

I will go with the group, regardless of the date if the fates allow it.

Drinking Club at All State was fun today. We didn't drink that much, but took all the good seats at the bar for 4+ hours. All State Amber goes down well. My lentil soup was barley, but still ok. Elyse brought cookies.

--mark

In addition, I think it might a fun field trip for whoever was interested after Piper's Kilt Burger Club to take the bus to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx (~15 minutes away), and this would be best on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

As if we needed further inducement.

YES!!!!! Maybe when we can feel sure of good weather?

1/10

1/17

1/24

1/31 (hey, a bonus!)

M, anything wrong with the third?

Suzanne, they have cayenne in them.

Drinking Club at All State was fun today. We didn't drink that much, but took all the good seats at the bar for 4+ hours. All State Amber goes down well. My lentil soup was barley, but still ok. Elyse brought cookies.

There were some regulars there who quite happy to see us leave. I think were taking up some seats. :laugh: Kudos goes to the bartender, who took good care of us.

After hearing so much about Elyse's wonderful cookies, I finally got to try them today. They rock! Count me in as another fan.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

There were some regulars there who quite happy to see us leave. I think were taking up some seats. :laugh: Kudos goes to the bartender, who took good care of us.

After hearing so much about Elyse's wonderful cookies, I finally got to try them today. They rock! Count me in as another fan.

All State has terrific bartenders. I go there as much for the friendly service as I do for the excellent burgers.

Thanks to Elyse for the cookie sampling. Fantastic stuff, especially the gingersnaps!

Thanks to all for the invitation to Beer Club, Drinking Club, Cookie Club, Terrorizing the Locals Club, or whatever that was today. Lots of fun, and no forms to fill out. I look forward to the next BC meeting, and hopefully a few more Sunday Drinking Club outings as well. Piper's Kilt anyone? :smile:

Edited by Felonius (log)

All State was a lot of fun, and the cookies were great. Ginger Snaps were my favorite, although Mayan Love Cookies were up there too :smile:

I did feel a bit bad about taking up the space so conspicuously, but the bartender really didn't seem to mind too much, especially after being bribed with a few cookies.

As for future Burger Club, I vote for Blue Smoke on 1/10. Can't make 1/3, but the rest of the dates would be fine as well.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

All State has terrific bartenders. I go there as much for the friendly service as I do for the excellent burgers.

Thanks to Elyse for the cookie sampling. Fantastic stuff, especially the gingersnaps!

Thanks to all for the invitation to Beer Club, Drinking Club, Cookie Club, Terrorizing the Locals Club, or whatever that was today. Lots of fun, and no forms to fill out. I look forward to the next BC meeting, and hopefully a few more Sunday Drinking Club outings as well. Piper's Kilt anyone? :smile:

You are much welcome, Felonius.

Now will somebody tell me what happened after I left???