• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasserts, Florham Park

always dining out

I would appreciate it if Always Dining Out would post a disclosure if she is connected to Tassert's or a denial if dbrociner is incorrect. It is a good restaurant and I wish it success, but I want to know if the posts I read are from fellow diners or insiders. I enjoy posts from Lreda and others who are in the business, but they make full disclosure.

I've invited 'always dining out' to explain whether or not she has a relationship to the restaurant, and if so what that relationship is. Until such time as we hear back, I would encourage people not to pass judgment one way or the other, and I'll also ask that we set aside that aspect of the discussion for now and get back to talking about the actual restaurant. Thanks.

We were going to have dinner at this new restaurant on Saturday night but when we got there they were closed. A sign on the door said that they would be closed on Friday because of a power outage. Kyoto was also closed as the power outage was not fixed. If you dine at this restaurant be sure to give us a report.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'm very pleased this thread has been restored.

Rosie has applied her usual excellent judgement, in my humble opinion. Based on my experience, Tasserts is the real deal. I'm sure Rosie will agree when she gets there.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

As I mentioned to Rosie, I just returned from vacation and saw the posts. My daughter does work at the restaurant but is just an employee. She was unaware when I made the initial post. I make the post because I thought it was a great restaurant, and people should try it but I did not want to come across as a bragging mom.

I did not mean to deceive anyone, and I do apologize to the board.

Went back to Tasserts again today for lunch (sorry RailPaul, went with guys from the office and it seemed like a weird situation to invite you). I again had the Cuban Sandwich and it again was excellent.

Sounds good. What did the other folks have?

Maybe we could get a discount for all the biz we're bringing them?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 3 weeks later...

The bread at Tasserts is outstanding. And the service was very good also. But we were so disappointed with our dinner especially since everyone who has posted here (although it was for lunch) had a good experience. Specials were recited without prices. Wonderful bread was brought with strange tasting salty butter. We asked for olive oil and that was fine.

Appetizers were three overcooked small scallops with some greens and an onion soup that tasted as if the beef broth hadn't been diluted. In all fairness, Lowell liked the soup.

Entrees were inedible cod fillets that tasted of iodine. They looked like they had freezer burn. The waiter did not charge us for this entrée which I couldn't eat and did ask if I wanted something else. Lowell had a fish called basa which he didn' t like and felt tasted old but he has an iron stomach and ate most of his dish. I asked the waiter where basa comes from and he told me it was a farm raised fish from South America. A search on the internet came up with basa being a freshwater fish farm-raised in Vietnam that is native to Vietnam's Mekong River Delta and can be compared to catfish. Iin any case we didn't like it. So we had three fish dishes and I couldn't recommend any of them.

Dessert was a poached pear in pastry dough with ice cream; ho-hum. This was also taken off the bill as a courtesy. Coffee was good. If you go to Tasserts please give us a report.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie, sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. As you mentioned, I've only been for lunch and its always been good. The cuban sandwich is always a winner and I've also had a "triple seared steak" salad and an italian cold cut sandwich. As you mentioned the bread is always excellent. I also had two soups: a corn soup and a New England style clam chowder. Both were good, not great. For one lunch I had a small steak that I could not recommend, it wasn't bad but it also wasn't worth $15.99.

There was talk about an egullet lunch here a few weeks back and both LReda and RailPaul said they were interested. Anyone still up for this? Rosie, would you be willing to go back?

Cody Kendall give Tassert's 3 stars in the Oct. 19 Star Ledger.

The Star Ledger would give the Bloomfield Parkway McDonalds three stars!!!

Be careful dude.

I got 2 1/2 from Cody about 9 weeks after I opened in 94/95. I opened 11/26/94 for those of you who wonder why I lapped 94/95. Gotta be honest, for what I was doing and being 28 at the time in retrospect she might have been right. If I could get 3 stars I'd open a Mickey D's. Just hate that fried food smell. Ehhh!!! :shock:

Be careful dude.

I got 2 1/2 from Cody about 9 weeks after I opened in 94/95. I opened 11/26/94 for those of you who wonder why I lapped 94/95. Gotta be honest, for what I was doing and being 28 at the time in retrospect she might have been right. If I could get 3 stars I'd open a Mickey D's. Just hate that fried food smell. Ehhh!!! :shock:

Lou--I've noticed that the Star Ledger has been reviewing restaurants very soon after they have opened. The rule of thumb used to be six months. How did you feel about being reviewed nine weeks after you opened?

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Hey, it's all fair game. I open the doors, charge people for food, they deserve a restaurant to be ready. I came to work this morning and read the review which still hangs in front to get some familarity. Her opening sentence says " An American Grill open less than 3 months has much of its act together " I don't won't to bore everyone with other quotes though I've always thought based on her review that she was here only once. The review was actually glowing with her only saying The Onaga might have been old. (Wasn't) and I served Langostine's with pasta and she thought it difficult to remove them from the shells. She can come back any day though as a review is always good for business.

Hey, it's all fair game. I open the doors, charge people for food, they deserve a restaurant to be ready.

Broadway shows used to be the same way. Audiences got a bargain as the producers tweaked the show, added songs, trimmed scenes for a few weeks.

In previews, all seats were 1/2 their after-opening price. Now, there's no difference in price. Of course, with some shows (the recent Michael Crawford horror comes to mind), there are no shows after the opening. It opened and closed in a flash...

rancho gordo

Be careful dude.

Lou - your review years ago not withstanding - it just seems to me that the Ledger very rarely gives a sub-three star rating...even when their write-ups of places don't particulairly seem to be all that favorable!

A.D.S.

How about Monday Nov 3rd around 1PM?

That Monday is bad for me; Tuesday Wednesday and Friday are better that week.

Monday the 10th is fine

rancho gordo