• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasserts, Florham Park

always dining out

We we going to go to Kyoto last night for sushi and noticed that the former 973 Restaurant was under new ownership and had a new menu. After looking at the menu we gave it a try and it was great!

I guess you can call it a New American style menu. My husband and I shar a Lump Crap w/ Heirloom Tomato appetizer and my husband tried the Tuna sashimi w/ Asian vinaigrette. Both were yummy.

For our entree I had a rack of lamb weith bean ragout and rosemary and my husband had a Chilean sea bass with braised red pearl onions, fingerling potatoes, corn and mushroom hash and white truffle oil. Both dishes and their presentation were excellent.

For dessert we had a root beer float with homemade truffles and a warm chocolate cake with walnut sauce and vanilla ice cream. Even the coffee was good.

Its a BYO and service was good. It was not crowded since it just opened. I will definately go back

I think that location is cursed, so many places have come and gone. If this new place sounds like something you like, go now while the gettings good!

I don't think it was the location. I never cared for the food at 973 and was surprised it stayed open so long. Who was there before 973?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I guess you can call it a New American style menu. My husband and I shar a Lump Crap w/ Heirloom Tomato appetizer and my husband tried the Tuna sashimi w/ Asian vinaigrette.  Both were yummy. 

For our entree I had a rack of lamb weith bean ragout and rosemary and my husband had a Chilean sea bass with braised red pearl onions, fingerling potatoes, corn and mushroom hash and white truffle oil.  Both dishes and their presentation were excellent. 

For dessert we had a root beer float with homemade truffles and a warm chocolate cake with walnut sauce and vanilla ice cream.  Even the coffee was good. 

Its a BYO and service was good.  It was not crowded since it just opened.  I will definately go back

I had lunch there earlier this week. The restaurant was impressive. Empty at 1145, it was about 1/2 filled (perhaps 30 people?) by 1 pm. The room is dominated by very high ceilings and a large kiva type cooking hearth

The menu has panini and wood fired pizza / foccacia, engineered sandwiches ($6 to $10), and true entrees in the $12 to $15 range. The sea bass was in the latter category. My companion made that choice, and reported it to be excellent.

I had a Cuban pressed sandwich, sliced roast pork with chipotle sauce, and a thin sliced pickle served in a grilled flatbread. It was good, with ample quantities of pork, and a tang to the chipotle. I'm guessing they added a bit of Tabasco to it. An endive and aragula salad with a drizzle of walnut oil was also on the plate.

Breads are baked on site, they said. An olive and garlic pane rustica was on the table with soft butter

Service was attentive, even though the place filled quickly. There are two or three tables "outside" the French doors which appear to qualify as smoking territory

With tip and a bottle of Saratoga water, the tab was $33.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We tried Tassert's on Saturday night 9/13. A mixed green salad with pears , gorgonzola and pears was very good.

My wife had the pan seared salmon with spinach. It was fine, but not memorable. I had a Black Angus sirloin steak ordered medium. It was slightly overdone, somewhat dry and not very flavorful. The garlic mashed potatoes were very good. It struck me as odd that my dish did not come with a vegetable, other than the mushrooms which garnished the steak. The entrees were good, but they did not elicit any "wows."

However, the dessert was superlative. It was a molten chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream . Wow! Also, as a previous poster noted, the coffee was exceptional. However, we found it odd that their cappuchino machine did not work.

Overall, a good place for its first week. Unfortunately, on Saturday prime time, the place was poorly attended. They need some PR help. We do prefer Sweet Basil's, Chelsea Grill, Liberte and Fascino, but I would encourage people to give it a try. Also, this was Tuscany Grill before it was 973.

Edited by scarlet knight (log)

Espresso machines brake down. Mine went down Monday night. The guys came and fixed it Tuesday. Broke down Weds, they brought a replacement Thursday, didn't work friday night. They came back today to fix the replacement today.

IT MAKES A SHIT COFFEE.

Good night, I'll be here all week...... then I'll be on vacation :blink:

Only one of many things that go wrong, that customers have no idea how we get around it

Just back from lunch at this restaurant. Food was very good. I had the Cuban Sandwich. Nice sized portion, pork was moist and my mouth is still tingling from the chipotle dressing. Co-worker had a burger with cheese and pancetta. Both entrees came with a small salad on the plate, each were $8.99. Service was prompt and professional. Specials were quoted without prices. We didn't have coffee so I don't know if the expresso machine has been fixed. A pretty room with a gas fired oven in one corner for cooking bread and pizzas, there is seating out front for those who want it. I'll definately go back as I work close by.

My husband returned today for lunch with a client and they both enjoyed their meal.  They both ordered two apps and desserts.  My husband couldn't resist the tuna sashimi again, and he also enjoyed the shrimp cocktail with avocado salsa.  He also told me that the espresso machine is now working.

Thank God!! :biggrin:

He also told me that the espresso machine is now working.

I had a conversation with a guy in the restaurant supply business this past weekend.

He told me that espresso machines are among the most likely resto appliances to break down. Far more trouble than they're worth. I didn't think to ask him which he prefers and carries, but that would have been a good follow-up.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We we going to go to Kyoto last night for sushi and noticed that the former 973 Restaurant was under new ownership and had a new menu.  After looking at the menu we gave it a try and it was great!

Just back from a second lunch at Tasserts. Another vote for the Cuban Sandwich. I had the "triple seared steak" served over salad which was very good. Specials were again quoted without prices and service was excellent again.

I quote the above passage from Always Dining Out because I believe that she is related to one of the principals in this restaurant. I have no problem with someone using Egullet to promote their business ventures but I think it is only right to say so upfront. It is flat out wrong to pretend to have been going to Kyoto and stumbling across Tasserts. We deserve better.

Having said that I am glad to have found this restaurant and plan on going back again next week for lunch and for dinner in the future.

First Joan Hamburg, now "always going out", David, are you a little angry today? :biggrin:

What gives you the impression that "A.G.O." is related to the restaurant? It's funny you mention that. Wed night, I'm working and about 9pm a young lady came in and asked for me. I told her who I was and she thanked me for defending the espresso machine problems. Said she was the pastry chef and I believe she said her mother who may also be related to the restaurant, told her about egullet. She seemed very young and might have posted looking to generate some attention to Taggart's. I say we monitor it and give her a pass for being an enthusiastic poster. :wink:

David, if you're going on a Thursday for lunch let me know.

Lou, I will go next Thursday despite the fact that people here in my office think I am crazy to go back after calling out the pasty chef's mother.

I do not want to name names but I am confident that my source is accurate and that what I posted is also accurate.

I am not a little angry today, any more than any other day that is. :smile:

I am a little hurt that I wasn't invited to the sushi lunch in Millburn but thats another story. Besides you're going to make up for that by taking me to a Giants game. :rolleyes:

Edited by dbrociner (log)

Lou, I will go next Thursday despite the fact that people here in my office think I am crazy to go back after calling out the pasty chef's mother.

I do not want to name names but I am confident that my source is accurate and that what I posted is also accurate.

I am not a little angry today, any more than any other day that is. :smile:

I am a little hurt that I wasn't invited to the sushi lunch in Millburn but thats another story. Besides you're going to make up for that by taking me to a Giants game.  :rolleyes:

The sushi lunch never happened. We never followed up on it. Monday night's loss was tough. Bought a Weber grill for tailgating, works great, fold into the trunk of my car. Now remember, keep thinking good thought and you'll be sitting in Giants Stadium soon :cool:

The food's good, I'll definitely go back. If you're going on Thursday, PM me.

Tasserts has picked up a lot of notice on eG, although I had already decided to go before I saw the post. I was over at Kyoto, and saw the guys working on the place. They gave me a tour and told me when they were planning to open.

eG has seen more than its share of insider rah-rah (that guy in Nutley and the place in Clifton / Paterson come to mind), but I'm reasonably confident that most of us can smoke out the rats. Even if we have to taste one or two along the way...

rancho gordo

The food's good, I'll definitely go back. If you're going on Thursday, PM me.

Tasserts has picked up a lot of notice on eG, although I had already decided to go before I saw the post. I was over at Kyoto, and saw the guys working on the place. They gave me a tour and told me when they were planning to open.

eG has seen more than its share of insider rah-rah (that guy in Nutley and the place in Clifton / Paterson come to mind), but I'm reasonably confident that most of us can smoke out the rats. Even if we have to taste one or two along the way...

I'm no good this Thurs. I'm on vacation I'll be available on Thurs Oct 16th. I'll have my laptop down the shore.

I do intend to check out Nicholas while I'm on holiday.

Lou