• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai in Nutley!

tommy

Theres a relatively new place called Thai Orchid. I saw it about a week ago but didn't go in.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Theres a relatively new place called Thai Orchid. I saw it about a week ago but didn't go in.

niiiiice.

i'm told it's called "lotus something-or-another". but that was coming from a very flakey source.

i want a full report by tomorrow.

best regards,

tommy

:biggrin:

Might be lotus something but pretty sure it was Orchid or Thai Orchid.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

That would be huge. I think the closest Thai place in the area is Wondee's in Hackencrack.

yeah, but wondee's is so good that it's worth a drive.

unless this place totally *rocks*, i'll have a hard time passing wondee's to get there. and my friend who lives in nutley says he'll have a hard time not coming to hackensack unless it's really something special.

Ate there for lunch today, ordered Kharnom Jib (shao-mai style dumpling) and Thai Egg Roll appetizers, Pad Thai and Gang Keow Warn (Green Curry).

Appetizers were a mixed bag -- Egg Rolls were decent but Bangkok Garden makes better ones. Theirs were somewhat bland. Kharnom Jib had too much of an overpowering burnt garlic taste, Wondee's are way better.

Pad Thai was good, noodles were nice and chewy, but lacked tanginess and spicyness.

Beef Gang Keow Warn, ordered "spicy" came out like 5 out of 10 on the heat scale. Lots of bamboo shoots, a few leaves of basil, no discernable fish sauce flavor at all. A few strips of red pepper, no eggplant. :sad: Beef was kinda tough and somewhat sparse. A rather minimalist curry at that. Gravy was too thin for my taste.

I'd say the place was better than Pimaan in Emerson, but nowhere near as good as Bangkok Garden, let alone Wondees. If you're in Nutley and want Thai, its not bad, but I'd probably opt for the Vietnamese options locally instead.

Yeah, I really expected more from Orchid, given the local asian population.

Maybe Kratiem and Thai Chef in Englewood will redeem themselves. We shall see.

Keep in mind the place has only been open for a week. However, the chef or owner (or is that one and the same) used to work at another restaurant in the area, Brookside Thai (378 Broad St, Bloomfield). I'm sure we'll go back eventually with our friends who live in the area. Another table we chatted with were very enthusiastic about the noodle dishes they ordered, pad thai and pad see ew. They also have some very interesting sounding fried rice dishes. My verdict is that it is a welcome addition to the immediate area, but not necessarily a place worth driving a long distance.

One night when we were eating at Brookside Thai (on a Tuesday night), we ran into Noi and Dana Ochoeron, owners of Sirin Thai in Morristown and former Enhance in Millburn. As it turned out, the two women running Brookside Thai were Noi's sisters. I thought that at least one of the sisters was missing the last time we were there. Will have to get over to the Orchid.

By the way, Noi was kind (?) enough to tell his sister that we thought the food was not spicy enough, and dinner turned out to be an incendiary wonder.

NJDuchess

• 2 weeks later...

i figured i'd try this place. what the hell, right?

wasn't too bad. the pad thai was a little on the bland side for my friend, although i don't mind it leaning that direction, rather than the gloppy sweet direction.

a chicken in green curry dish was passable, although there wasn't a lot of chicken in it.

beef with basil, on the other hand, was plentiful.

a pork salad was not very good at all. bland dressing. just a bit of pork. i expected charred pork, but it wasn't. the dish just didn't have much flavor. although we proclaimed it "a nice summer salad". :smile:

the restroom was shiny and clean.

the parking lot is tiny. so much so that with only 2 other tables, the lot was filled. i'm not sure where you'd park other than that lot.

the waitress was exceedingly attractive.

i won't go out of my way, but if i find myself down in that area, i might be tempted to try it again, if only to get another gander at the nice waitress. certainly not a destination spot, though.

• 1 year later...

We went to Thai Orchid last night and were pretty impressed. I had the shrimp panang curry, which had great flavor, although I ordered it "hot" and it was relatively mild. My wife a noodle dish with shrimp, eggs, and lime...also quite passable. The space is small, but it's very clean and the server was friendly and attentive. It seems like a nice alternative to the usual crap if you live in the area.

We went to Thai Orchid ... It seems like a nice alternative to the usual crap if you live in the area.

Mr. Ganz, would you kindly explain what you mean by that statement? I'm very concerned that you've negatively labeled Nutley (and area) as nothing but poor dining. I'd rather hear what it is you mean before I continue. Thank you!

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Sorry if you took offense to that, but don't get too excited...no one is dicking on Nutley here. :wink: I have lived in this area my entire life. I realize it has much to offer. I just meant that for cheap eats, it's a much better option than the 458 generic pizza/sub shop/diner/chinese take-out places that are omnipresent. Hope that cleared things up.

Sorry if you took offense to that, but don't get too excited...no one is dicking on Nutley here.  :wink:  I have lived in this area my entire life. I realize it has much to offer. I just meant that for cheap eats, it's a much better option than the 458 generic pizza/sub shop/diner/chinese take-out places that are omnipresent. Hope that cleared things up.

Thank you for the clarity you offered.

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident