• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moules Sauce Poulette

Popped in to Bistro du Coin tonight for the "Round Table". Late night, after work, restaurant talk kind of thing. Most of my favorite people showed up. I met some great new people. I ordered the mussels poulette. The mussels were perfectly cooked. More perfect than I can ever remember eating mussels anywhere. Lightly poached, they had more of an oyster like texture. It was a revelation. The sauce, once you finish the shellfish becomes a cross between an incredible soup, and a great sop for the baguette. Cream, butter, white wine. garlic. What's not to like?The steak tartare that followed could not be faulted. The frites could have been better. You have to love the atmosphere here.

Almost everyone at the table was a chef or a sous chef ,except me, of course. The topic tonight ended up on the stupid "Restaurant" show on NBC. Some of these boys had worked for Rocco. I will repeat what I said on the thread in Food and Media about this show: I, too. would act stupid on TV for $2 million. Too bad eGullet doesn't have spycams in the dining rooms around the city.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

add a few hoes

(hoegardens folks)

and you got a party.

The conversation was quite lively last eve.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

• 4 weeks later...

Went again last night, as usual. Small group but very, very lively discussion.

As the weather starts to get colder, people's taste for bechamel seems to make a comeback. A few raviolis (baked with bechamel and gruyere), tartines (basically baked ham and cheese on good bread smothered in Mornay sauce) were had. I had the magret de canard with green peppercorn sauce and pommes frites. Damn, I forgot how good this was. Made what was a shitty week a hell of a lot better.

The word restaurant is derived from "restorative," no?

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

It was loud. It was annoyingly loud.

To complete the story, the French team was given a meal allowance that Yannis (chef/owner) thought was quite low. So he invited them back to his joint where things (obviously) got a little out of hand. I recognized a few faces that were dancing on the bar from the paper this morning. The lady twirler with the mullet and the broken broomstick being used as a baton was classic.

Another chapter of comedy at the office.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

It was loud. It was annoyingly loud.

To complete the story, the French team was given a meal allowance that Yannis (chef/owner) thought was quite low. So he invited them back to his joint where things (obviously) got a little out of hand. I recognized a few faces that were dancing on the bar from the paper this morning. The lady twirler with the mullet and the broken broomstick being used as a baton was classic.

Another chapter of comedy at the office.

Those chicks were the ballers and we were the clams for sitting there listening to that noise. Aside from the great company, it was an annoying experience.

Mark

Ballers can never be the center of attention. As for us, I would say on the Slipp organizational chart we were donkeys.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC