• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly Pork Sandwiches

Basilgirl

Was going to attempt a Philly pork sandwich last night, but my greens were slimy so I went in a different direction. Probably just as well because I've never had one but have heard they are great.

Please explain to me exactly what goes on one - pork, provolone, greens and hot peppers? Do you make it like a cheesesteak? What's the deal?

Thanks.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Roast pork is just that. Roast pork with juices sliced thin, dipped and layered on a sandwich. The green is often spinach though I think Tony Lukes might use broccoli rabe. The prefered cheese is aged provolone. Roasted hot or sweet peppers are fine.

My favorite version comes from DeNic's in Reading Terminal Market

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Mine too. Really the key is the roast pork, though--it's just gotta be right. Aged provolone, greens (usually spinach sauteed with garlic and hot pepper). aw yeah.

Mine too. Really the key is the roast pork, though--it's just gotta be right. Aged provolone, greens (usually spinach sauteed with garlic and hot pepper). aw yeah.

I was surprised at how wet the DeNic sandwich is. Even with a substantial roll, the thing starts to drip all over your hands very quickly. Definitely by the time you grab a cold pint of Ying at the beer tent.

Doing the same sandwich with a drier, well roasted piece of pork, with crisp brownies on the edges, and letting the provo melt all over it, then adding the aged greens / garlic sauce could work, too.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

What's in the dipping tub for the pork? It looked too thin to be a gravy or sauce, looked almost like a white wine bath. (A beurre blanc sauce would have been as out of place there as a guy riding a camel)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

What's in the dipping tub for the pork? It looked too thin to be a gravy or sauce, looked almost like a white wine bath.  (A beurre blanc sauce would have been as out of place there as a guy riding a camel)

That's the juice. The soggy bread from soaking in the pork juice is part of the appeal of the sandwich. At George's in the Italian Market, they put the pork in yer sandwich and spoon a few spoonfuls of the juice over it. Man are those sammies messy. But so good.

I haven't tried DeNics, but love Tony Luke's. I get mine with Broc. Rabe & "make it wet!", so they spoon lots of the pork drippins on! Add Sharp Provolone and yer in fer a serious treat. Their liquid/gravy the pork is simmered in also contains lots of garlic and red pepper flakes for some nice bite. mmmm...craving one right now

Spoon!

At George's in the Italian Market, they put the pork in yer sandwich and spoon a few spoonfuls of the juice over it.  Man are those sammies messy. But so good.

I'm a big fan of George's, too, Jas. Love it dripping wet. Can I get an "Amen!" for the RPS at John's Roast Pork? Hiz un Tony Luke's iz neck-n-neck, IMO.

I was surprised at how wet the DeNic sandwich is. Even with a substantial roll, the thing starts to drip all over your hands very quickly. Definitely by the time you grab a cold pint of Ying at the beer tent.

And that's bad?

Doing the same sandwich with a drier, well roasted piece of pork, with crisp brownies on the edges, and letting the provo melt all over it, then adding the aged greens / garlic sauce could work, too.

Sounds like a good sandwich. But not a classic Philadelphia Pork sandwich. Philadelphia style is supposed to require a total immersion within the sandwich til sandwich and sandwich eater become as one.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

At George's in the Italian Market, they put the pork in yer sandwich and spoon a few spoonfuls of the juice over it.  Man are those sammies messy.   But so good.

I'm a big fan of George's, too, Jas. Love it dripping wet. Can I get an "Amen!" for the RPS at John's Roast Pork? Hiz un Tony Luke's iz neck-n-neck, IMO.

I stand by Tommy DeNics as first. But George's, Tony Luke's and John's Roast Pork are all quite honorable seconds. Wouldn't kick any of them off the table.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter