• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honeymooning in Paris in September

Dryden

We're going to be in Paris for the last week of September. We're staying at the Crillon (very excited, indeed!) and were looking to eat the greatest meal we can eat. No holds barred, but it has to be in Paris proper and accessible.

What do people think?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

It would not seem that there is one greatest meal in the abstract. Rather it would appear that the greatest meal for any person would relate to that individual's tastes and desires. So, perhaps you need to reveal your preferences and something about yourselves.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Good point... By and large, we're looking for real creativity from the chef and excellence of execution in the kitchen, not so much an expression of a particular classical style or ingredient.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

If you look just a little ways down the board, there's an entire thread on 'Pierre Gagnaire vs. Guy Savoy', two obvious candidates.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The best meal I have had in Paris (aside from the the crepe and sandwich stands on the street - magnifique) was definitely at L'Espadon in the Ritz hotel in Paris.

The food was spectacular (we even gorged ourselves on the bread they had, there was a selection of five but we mainly stayed with the brioche and the miniature baguettes with bacon baked in them), and the service was even better than that. They made us feel very comfortable and took care of us from beginning to end, not pretentious in any way.

It will definitely be our first stop the next time my wife and I are there.

We're going to be in Paris for the last week of September.  We're staying at the Crillon (very excited, indeed!) and were looking to eat the greatest meal we can eat.  No holds barred, but it has to be in Paris proper and accessible.

What do people think?

If you're thinking of adopting, I'm available!! :smile:

I might have volunteered Ducasse at the Plaza Athenee in response to your original post, but less likely after your qualifying post. I'm in agreement with Hollywood here. It's a subjective decision. Tell us more about yourself. What other restaurants have you liked anyplace else in the world. Have you been to Paris before? How important is the ambience and service? L'Astrance is wonderful and creative, or was when we were there a few years ago, but I don't know that it's the kind of place I'd recommend for the ultimate single dinner. I'm assuming you want to match the Crillon in some abstract way say in terms of formality.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Lucas Carton is also a great restaurant, but does not meet your requirements.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

We've never been to France before. I'd say the kind of meals we really enjoy - The French Laundry, Jean Georges, 71 Clinton...

I would say that what we're really looking for is the "if I had one meal left on earth, I'd eat it here" meal. Which is, to be fair, very highly subjective, but that's at least what we have in mind.

Actually, the main reason we're staying at the Crillon is that my company has a phenomenal rate there, and for 200 euros a night, we really couldn't see turning it down. That level of formality would not be the norm for us otherwise, we generally try to go for more substance, less style.

The last meal quest is a little tricky. I have eaten at four 3 star Paris restaurants: Taillevent, Guy Savoy, Plaza Athenee (but with a prior chef) and Grand Vefour. On the basis of those places and solely for the food, I'd go with Guy Savoy. If I were wanting a selection of really fine wine, I'd go with Taillevent. Just my opinion. Frankly, all in all, I'd probably run out to Rheims to Boyer/Les Crayeres for my last meal, etc.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I'm either the best or worst person to reply to your quest since I've been married for several hundred years. That said, I see that you ask where you would find the "best meal". I no longer look for the "best meal", but for the perfect evening, and they may indeed be two different things. I can think of many quite excellent meals that did not add up to particularly great evening, considering the sum of the room, ambience, timing, other diners, details of service in addition to the meal. You really do have to put some thought into this choice. (On the other hand, I can't remember a single meal I had on my honeymoon.)

eGullet member #80.

If it was my last meal, I wouldn't worry so much about it being memorable, after all how long will I have to remember it. :biggrin:

I might pick a place like la Régalade and just relax and enjoy myself. In fact I'd probably pick a place with comfort food rather than avant garde cuisine.

The three restaurants you've listed are all quite different. I've been to two of them, but haven't made it to WD-50, but think I can say they are all different. If all three of them were in Paris and you had to pick one of them, which one would it be?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Well, I think I would recommend Pierre Gagnaire, but that is all quite personal.

La Régalade I found very nice, but it is very low profile and perhaps not the one to pick for the sort of occasion you are pointing at.

But at my last visit a couple of weeks ago, I was very much impressed by Le Carré des Feuillants (but you can have a look at my review here about the four meals I had there, including at le Grand Véfour).

I hope I was clear that I wasn't recommending La Régalade for this occasion. Although it's a restaurant that's alost the opposite from l'Astrance, they both share a focus on food rather than service, but they both lack a certain style I would want at this dinner. Of course it's all so subjective and I don't even stay at the Crillon. :biggrin:

Gagnaire is an excellent choice in my book, but I've become cautious in recommending it after one report I've heard. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

You are right, Robert: it is extremely difficult to give advice to other people unless you are quite aware of her or his preferences - but even then.

Sorry for my misunderstanding about La Régalade :-)

And I never stay at Le Crillon - in fact normally I go to Paris for a day, since it is only 1h25 from Brussels. However, I have been twice to Les Ambassadeurs, in the 'good' days (1996 and 1999), which I found one of the most beautiful dining rooms I have seen in that style.

P Gagnaire perhaps has Thomas Keller's whimsy , although

I did not have a wonderful experience there unlike many

others on board. Savoy may suggest Jean George.

The dinigrooms of the major hotels [George V, Crillon,

Bristol, Plaza] usually have excellent kitchens. If you

wish small, intimate and interesting you might look into

Relais d'Auteuil.

Unfortunately I was very disappointed by the Bristol restaurant a couple of months ago, although GaultMillau is very fond of them.

The restaurant of Le Crillon, Les Ambassadeurs, lost its second star this year - that may say something; the other Crillon-restaurant seems to be good as well in another category, but I have never been there.

First of all, thanks to everyone for their extremely helpful advice... :biggrin:

I think we're leaning a bit toward Pierre Gagnaire, I'm curious to know - what is it that some people have found to be un-fantastic?

Unfortunately I was very disappointed by the Bristol restaurant a couple of months ago, although GaultMillau is very fond of them.

I love some feedback on your Bristol dinner. I know Eric Frechon and the hotel really want a third star. How were your expectations not met?

I love some feedback on your Bristol dinner. I know Eric Frechon and the hotel really want a third star. How were your expectations not met?

I was here in May 2002 for dinner, after having had lunch at Pierre Gagnaire. So I took the 3 course menu (60 €).

First I had something to go with my aperitif: one cherry tomato confit on toast – just quite simple.

Then I had as amuse-geule: a mousse of tomatoes with cucumber – just OK.

First course was: Sardine de Méditeranée confite à l'ail, pequillos farcis, compotée de tomate et poivrons doux. And now I got a bit bored: tomato again! And with this came… some bread with tomato again, some fried lettuce that didn't add anything to the rest! The peppers did add something to the sardines; as a whole not too bad a course.

Main course was: Bar de ligne mariné au poivre, poêlé à l'unilatérale, oignons nouveaux à l'orange et vinaigre.

The sea bass was excellent! However, the marmalade was much too dominant for the fish, and therefore I didn't think this was a course in balance.

My dessert: Abricots rôtis au caramel – riz chocolaté, glace à l'infusion de thé jasmin. This was very nice, and the first course which, I thought, could deserve perhaps two stars. The other two didn't at all! And far too much repetition of ingredients in a two star restaurant.

Service was not that well. Being alone and very early, I got a table right in the middle of the room, although almost all tables were available. [When I asked to change tables, they didn't make any problems.] They never knew whether to speak English to me or French. [i started in French.] I didn't notice some of an 'esprit d'équipe'.

My conclusion: disapponting and not to be repeated…

[Michelin: two stars; GaultMillau: 17/20; Champérard: 18,5/20. My rating: 14/20.]

Edited by paulbrussel (log)

We ate at Frechon's eponymous pre-Bristol restaurant some half dozen times when he was first becoming known. At that time, Gault-Millau had given him 17 points. While we had enjoyable evenings at this restaurant, and a few good dishes, we never had what I would consider an excellent meal. Except for the luxury of using expensive ingredients now, I can't imagine that his style and substance would become stellar simply by walking into the kitchen at the Bristol.

eGullet member #80.

I had one dinner at his earlier restaurant. I thought it was very good and and remarkable bargain. There seemed to be enough finesse for me to want to see what he could do at the Bristol, but we haven't spent enough time in Paris to do all we have wanted to do or eat in all the restaurants in which we wanted to eat.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable