• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tuna Tartare

MatthewB

For a dinner party I did a Tuna Tartare brushcetta.

To the cubed tuna I added quartered seeded cherry tomatos, diced scallions, a very small amount of chopped ginger and a little bit of toasted sesame oil, olive oil, S & P. Tossed it with a little bit of watercrest and putt it atop grilled peasant bread rubbed w/ garlic cloves.

For a little extra flavor, some people liked it drizzled w/ a wasabi cream. Wasabi powder and sour cream, make a great heating and cooling effect.

No Pic, sorry.

Look at my tuna tartar:

fd02d94f.jpg

recipe????

i don't have a recipe, but i just chop the tuna to a pleasing texture, same with scallion (green parts), mix them together and add some ponzu for salt/sweetness. put it in a round mold and plop it on top of sliced japanese cucumbers. i top it with roe, as i like the "snap, crackle and pop". i also mix sriracha with mayo, and serve on the side or drizzled over. if i want a spicier richer dish, i mix a bit with the tuna.

One of my few utter and complete failures was an attempt to make tuna tartare. Don't what the hell I was thinking of. I threw tuna, some parsley, ginger and way too much garlic in a blender. Added some sesame oil. It tasted like fish-hummus. Looked worse.

I have done various versions, one of my favorites was served bruschetta style with diced tuna, avocado, lime, fresh chiles, coconut milk and seame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.

Then there is the "traditonal" Japanese version called maguro tatatki which is minced up tuna mixed with scallions and soy sauce, usually served atop rice or in a sushi roll

Sometimes I do it "Hawaiian" style with cubed tuna, soy, tabasco, sesame seeds, and a drizzle of sesame oil

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I do tartare in various styles but these might be appropriate.

I mince it fairly finely with some ginger juice and lime zest, minced scallions or shallots, fleur de sel, coarse white pepper. Sometimes some dried chile, occasionally a chile oil or paste.

I serve it on deep-fried wonton crisps or on squares of toasted nori.

Or in one inch pieces of cucumber hollowed out so that there is 1/8th of an inch barrier at the bottom. These are Japanese or Lebanese cucumbers so they are quite small.

Garnishes vary but usually a bit of roe. Sometimes a shaving of tuna bottarga. Sometimes half a steamed quail egg, say on the wonton crisps.

Sometimes a fresh mayo or creme fraiche.

Oh, yes, occasionally wrapped in rice paper rolls with watercress and daikon sprouts, sliced on the bias with a mirin/citrus and chile dipping sauce.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all this talk about tartares and ceviches finally inspired me. I picked up some tuna from the fish monger. And now I just need to settle on a recipe. I'll be serving it tonight as an appetizer.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I just asked Chef for our recipe for tuna tartare (which I absolutely :wub: ).

Diced tuna, Evoo, minced fresh parley, mint, scallions and basil, sea salt and pepper. Mold into a small cylindrical tower and surround with ponzu sauce. Top with a small salad of baby cilantro, edamame & scallions.

YUMMMY!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I just asked Chef for our recipe for tuna tartare (which I absolutely :wub: ).

Diced tuna, Evoo, minced fresh parley, mint, scallions and basil, sea salt and pepper.  Mold into a small cylindrical tower and surround with ponzu sauce.  Top with a small salad of baby cilantro, edamame & scallions.

YUMMMY!

This is actually the direction I'm heading in as I bought large bunches of mint and basil at the greenmarket today. I know MathewB posted a link to a ponzu recipe, so maybe I'll make that as well.

Now, if I can just pull myself away from the computer so I can do the rest of my food shopping. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Well, all this talk about tartares and ceviches finally inspired me.  I picked up some tuna from the fish monger.  And now I just need to settle on a recipe.  I'll be serving it tonight as an appetizer.

Please report. Guajolote & I will be doing it for our dinner tomorrow evening.

So, I made the tuna tartare as an appetizer for friday night's dinner. My version was very similar to Katie's - diced tuna, EVOO, scallions, basil and mint, sea salt and pepper, with a ponzu. I don't have a metal ring (and no empty cans lying around) so I mounded it in the center of a plate and drizzled the ponzu around it.

I did a 1/2 inch dice of the tuna and the contrast of the deep red of tuna offset by the green of the herbs and scallions was very attractive. According to my husband, the texture of the tartare was velvety. I liked the interplay of the cool fish, with the mint and basil plus the salty-citrus of the ponzu.

I will make this again, but I'm going to have to choose my opportunity as many of our friends are unadventurous eaters.

Thanks for the inspiration guys!!

So, I made the tuna tartare as an appetizer for friday night's dinner.  My version was very similar to Katie's - diced tuna, EVOO, scallions, basil and mint, sea salt and pepper, with a ponzu.  I don't have a metal ring (and no empty cans lying around) so I mounded it in the center of a plate and drizzled the ponzu around it. 

I did a 1/2 inch dice of the tuna and the contrast of the deep red of tuna offset by the green of the herbs and scallions was very attractive.  According to my husband, the texture of the tartare was velvety.  I liked the interplay of the cool fish, with the mint and basil plus the salty-citrus of the ponzu.

I will make this again, but I'm going to have to choose my opportunity as many of our friends are unadventurous eaters.

Thanks for the inspiration guys!!

Glad you enjoyed it! I truly wish I could take credit for something other than simply asking the question and posting the answer, but actually that is Chef Terence Feury's version of Tuna Tartare that is served on the lunch menu at Striped Bass. Really tasty though! I also like the slight herbal flavors with the simplicity of the rest of the ingredients. Really lets the tuna shine.

I may be inspired myself now! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well, it seems like the tuna tartare last week made such an impact, that my husband bought tuna at the fish monger and asked that I make more for dinner tonight.

Whatta guy. :wub: