• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Markets in L.A.

This past Sunday we picked up green beans, peaches, plums, apricots, bread, fresh basil and I can't remeber what else.

If I happen to be in the car on Saturdays at 11:00, I enjoy listening to Laura Avery on Evan Kleiman's Good Food on KCRW to hear what's fresh and in season at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market.

The LA Times has a list of all of them here.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I usually go to the one on Pico & Cloverfield on Saturday mornings just because it's convenient, but when I'm looking for inspiration, I prefer the Arizona & 3rd Street market in Santa Monica.

This year I've really gotten into the white nectarines - really sweet, with almost a creamy quality to them. Tomatoes and basil are always a big deal for me during the summer.

I'd like to try some hard-necked garlic varieties. Anyone ever see/use that?

~Tad

Zealot, I dont think Hardneck can grow in California or at least it is not widely planted here. Mostly grown in colder climats. On Weds in SM talk to the Thogmartins (on 2nd south of Arizona) they are garlic and onion experts. They also go to Hollywood on Sundays.

D

Edited by dfunghi (log)

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Zealot, I dont think Hardneck can grow in California or at least it is not widely planted here. Mostly grown in colder climats. On Weds in SM talk to the Thogmartins (on 2nd south of Arizona) they are garlic and onion experts. They also go to Hollywood on Sundays.

D

Thanks for the info!

~Tad