• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

European Vinters Dream of 1947...

zephyrus

While things certainly seem promising, there is still a long way to go before "the vintage of the century" can be proclaimed. :wink: 1998 was such a vintage in Europe with a very hot summer. Some great wines were produced, but September rains put a big damper on things if I remember correctly.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Perhaps there will be a "better bouquet" derived from such a hot summer in Germany. But it will be a disaster for acid. Which is really the reason we return to Riesling again and again, isn't it? Sounds like icky old 1995. A hot summer does not make a great vintage. Just a sloppy alcoholic one. Hopefully everyone is dropping fruit in unprecedented clusters.

over it

It's been more than half a century since such high temperatures have been registered in European vineyards — which every winemaker knows is the key to producing a truly exceptional wine of rare aromas, rich body and deep color.

Obviously written by a wine expert. :hmmm: I'm planting my new vineyard in Kuwait. It was 48 (118) there yesterday according to the BBC.

1998 was such a vintage in Europe with a very hot summer

Not so hot and dry like this.

Vines need none or few ice at Winter and none or few rain at Summer, hot temperatures = early ripening.

Is it right?

I'm sure this will be one of the best vintages, mainly for alcohol lovers. :biggrin:

1998 was such a vintage in Europe with a very hot summer

Not so hot and dry like this.

Vines need none or few ice at Winter and none or few rain at Summer, hot temperatures = early ripening.

Is it right?

I'm sure this will be one of the best vintages, mainly for alcohol lovers. :biggrin:

There is still a lot of weather to go before this turns out to be a great vintage. If it does it will most likely be a vintage reminiscent of California or Australia. Robert Parker will love it :laugh: .

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Not that there is anything wrong with that! :smile:

Edited by docsconz (log)

Twitter - @docsconz