• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peruvian restaurants in Phila?

rhh

From my point of view,

knock good out of the search process.

I'd be looking for a Peruvian restaurant.

I know of only one Peruvian restaurant, Sol del Peru in Upper Darby, period.

I do hope it's good, and I want to try it sometime.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

herbacidal, you may have a point - beggers can't always be choosers! Thanks for the rec - we will check out Sol del Peru sometime soon and report back. :)

Another restaurant to try is El Balconcito, which serves Peruvian and Portugese food. The address is: 658 E. Godfrey Avenue ( in lower NE Philadelphia) and the phone number is 215-342-2340. I ate there last year on the recommendation of a Peruvian friend, and we had a very pleasant experience. Nothing fancy (big screen tv playing in the background), family run (very cute little girl hanging out behind the counter), friendly service (helpful in explaining the menu). Their specialties include ceviche; I remember being pleased with the seafood I ordered. My friend had a steak, and we shared a pitcher of a fruity iced drink that was recommended as a Peruvian favorite.

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody !

Thanks for the directions of those peruvians restaurants.

That named "el Balconcito" seems pretty far from here, from the University of Pennsylvania

Do you know how can I get there? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I want to go with some friends

Thank you so much

use mapquest to plot it, then get the driving directions.

you may be able to take the blue line, then transfer to a bus at frankford station, but it will take too much time.

if you're going with friends, turn on the charm and talk one into driving there.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a regular customer at Sol Del Peru and everything I have tasted it has been pretty good for me. I love chicken and the rotisserie chicken they have on the weekends is real good a.k.a. POLLOS A LA BRAZA..... I heard the peruvians will be celebrating EL DIA DE LA CANCION CRIOLLA (the day of the criolla music) on Drexel university and Sol Del Peru will be there also. well if you need directions for Sol Del Peru restaurant let me know..... I hope you'll enjoy as much as I have.

Edited by incaico (log)

I heard the peruvians will be celebrating EL DIA DE LA CANCION CRIOLLA (the day of the criolla music)  on Drexel university and Sol Del Peru will be there also.

do you know when they would be doing this?

i'll plan and stop by if that's the case.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

El Sol Del Peru had a stand at the Media Food Fest at the beginning of this month. I had a delicious pork tamale and arroz con pollo. My boyfriend had been trying to get us to go there for awhile, but whenever it was convenient for us, it was either closed, or I didn't want to go. Now that I've tried their food, I'm more eager to go to the restaurant.

Anyone know there hours?

well the DAY OF THE CRIOLLA MUSIC will be on november 9th at this moment i don't know the phone number where to call for tickets but if i find out i will let you know otherwise you can just pay at the door.

regarding to SOL DEL PERU hours they're open from tuesday thru sunday.

tuesday - thursday 4pm-9:30pm

friday 4pm-10pm

sat and sunday 1pm-10pm