• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Riesling

russ parsons

I've got my order in so I'll spill the beans. Darrell Corti has a stock of what he calls "mature german wine" that he's selling through his Corti Brothers grocery store. I bought a half-case of one (1993 Ayler Kupp Kabinett from Dr. Heinz Wagner) last week. I've already re-ordered another half-case of that plus of another (this time a spatlese). those of you who appreciate older riesling will not need to be told that this is one of the great aging grapes. at 10 years, the ayler kupp kabinett is not quite fully mature, but its character has rounded and smoothed, it is slightly sweet on the palate and unbelievably perfumed. i find a hint of pine bough in mature rieslings. this one isn't quite there, but you can sense it coming. oh, did i mention it's only 7% alcohol? if this isn't the perfect summer aperitif wine, i don't know what is. oh, did i mention it's $12 a bottle?

(916) 736-3800

usual disclaimer: of course i have absolutely no commercial interest in mr. corti or his wines.

Son of a BITCH. I live in NJ. Maybe I can ship some to Fat Guy's house.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host