• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Herbs

malcolmjolley

I grow both Greek and Italian oregano in my garden, they were sold as seperate plants and they look a little (not much) different and there is a slight taste difference. The Greek is "stronger" but not overwhelming so.

i find greek oregano a bit spicy. am i alone on this one? it does't add spice to dishes that i can notice, but i feel a bit of heat on the tongue from a fresh leaf.

Lemon balm makes a wonderful tea. It is also great with fish and chicken. One time my sister had a bunch growing and her son had caught a big red snapper. She stuffed the inside of the snapper with bunches of it and baked it. WONDERFUL!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Having the same problem with handfuls of basil, I recently made basil-infused olive oil for drizzling on fish, fresh-from-the farm tomatoes, or salad caprese and adding to salad dressings. It might be good also on a feta omelette. It keeps in the fridge for two weeks according to Jerry Traunfeld, whose HerbFarm Cookbook recipe I used. I gave some as little gifts recently when I couldn't use up my supply quickly enough.

I took about three cups of basil, blanched it for 15 seconds, plunged into ice water, squeezed relatively dry, and threw in a blender with about 1.5 c olive oil. Whizzed it together for a couple of minutes and then drained without disturbing [so that it would stay clear] for an hour or so in my yogurt cheese cone.

Edited by memesuze (log)

I have a loveage plant in the backyard and have found it is an easy way to add a celery taste to things like pesto for fish stews. Doesn't take much, though, as it is very strong. The portions I use compared to the size of the plant is in infinitesimal. Anyone have another good uses for loveage?

dave