• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant PRs

olly s

NY is kinda funny, a restaurant really doesnt need to advertise aor assemble a huge PR team to get the word out. This is because of the high concentration of loyal 2 to 4 night a week diners. Chicago works in a similar manner. In fact its almost riskier to do huge PR blitz before opening because the restaurant almost always never lives up to initial expectations and in NY and Chitown diners are very unforgiving.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

NY is kinda funny, a restaurant really doesnt need to advertise aor assemble a huge PR team to get the word out.

You're an insider invento, so I'm sure you know the business much better than I do, but I've seen some massive PR campaigns in New York. 66, for example, hosted a long series of pre-opening parties for the stretch-limo crowd. If JGV needs to make a big PR splash when he opens a new place, then who doesn't?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Off the top of my head a few of the top NY restaurant PR firms are:

Lou Hammond & Assoc.

Bullfrog & Baum

Resources

Sharp Communications

Diaz/Schloss

Teuwen One Image

KRT Associates

KB Network News

Phillip Baltz

Hall Co.

I can enhance that list over the next few weeks as mail comes in.

Within each firm there are typically several publicists, some better than others.

In terms of respect, I think it depends who you ask. Restaurant reviewers, for example, may not share the same preferences as food writers who cover food-world happenings. The former group is likely to prefer soft-sell publicists who can provide information with a minimum of hype. The latter group puts a premium on speed, pre-opening events, etc., and is much more likely to have close social ties with the PR community.

There's no doubt in my mind that money spent on a good publicist is money well spent, and that money spent on a bad publicist is wasted. Ultimately, your product has to sell itself, but a good publicist can get the word out quickly, can get you key media placements early, can help you construct an image that will be commercially beneficial, and can also bring to the table a lot of general restaurant-business wisdom that can save you from costly mistakes.

A lot of these food-biz-oriented publicists don't just handle restaurants. Some are really hospitality-industry publicists, for example when I deal with Lou Hammond's people it's often about restaurants that are in the hotels they represent. Likewise, some of these companies handle personal publicity for chefs, or cookbook publicity, or product publicity, etc. Were eGullet to become comercially viable, we would no doubt engage a publicist from one of the aforementioned companies. Actually, Jason and I have already chosen her.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

CT has never spent one cent on advertising in his restaurant's history. Just good ole fashion gastronomy. We have no budget for advertising in my new project. Ultimately, the guest will wind up paying for it and im not into making the guest pay for something they cant experience at the restaurant. I believe in word of mouth. If I cant achieve that based on the restaurant alone, then its time for me to rethink hospitality and generosity.

Edited by inventolux (log)

www.motorestaurant.com

Charlie also has created a very positive image and recognition for the restaurant through his many charitable contributions and through his culinary foundation. His PBS Cooking Sessions also creates further awareness of his eponymous restaurant...

CT has never spent one cent on advertising in his restaurant's history.

So, for example, Relais & Chateaux lets the restaurant be a member for free?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You dont get into Relais & Chateaux by just having a huge PR budget. It takes alot more than that. As far as PBS goes, a cooking show was offered to him from numerous companies. He chose the best option and it didnt cost him anything except his time.

And no doubt, he is big on charitable contributions, he does it out of genuine kindness I can assure it. Example:

On a few occassions he has hired and trained homeless people in the kitchen to get them back on their feet. I know because I have personally trained them. He didnt do this for PR and few people outside the restaurant even know about these CHT "projects". This costs a lot of money to train someone with little or no skills at all and then to give them medical and dental benefits with a competitive salary is more generous than any freestanding restaurant I know of.

www.motorestaurant.com

As far as PBS goes, a cooking show was offered to him from numerous companies. He chose the best option and it didnt cost him anything except his time.

I was agreeing with you, from my post above - just mentioning how CT uses different avenues, other than paid advertising, to create further awareness and exposure.

As far as PBS goes, a cooking show was offered to him from numerous companies. He chose the best option and it didnt cost him anything except his time.

I was agreeing with you, from my post above - just mentioning how CT uses different avenues, other than paid advertising, to create further awareness and exposure.

Sorry about the confusion.

www.motorestaurant.com

I'm not sure who does the PR for them or if they do it themselves (or if this even qualifies), but i think that the $30 off dinner for 2 that the Restaurant Associates group puts out are GREAT! Very few restrictions as far as times, and diners are treated with the same respect as 'full paying' customers.

I'm not such a fan of their 'beer dinners' and other 'special events', but i'm an active user and advocate of their $$ off coupons. Due to these coupons, i have recommended their restaurants to many and have dined there much more often than i would otherwise (each time still spending more than $100 for 2).

It's a win-win.

Off the top of my head a few of the top NY restaurant PR firms are:

Bullfrog & Baum

Is it intentional on their part that whenever I hear the name "Bullfrog & Baum" I'm thinking Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder or Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick work there?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

There's definitely a Baum, but there's nobody named Bullfrog listed as working there. I'll e-mail Jennifer Baum and ask her what the story is.

Karen Diaz from Diaz/Schloss handled the promotion of the Flaming Orange Gully on behalf of Beacon, Dale DeGroff, and eGullet. She was very effective in getting media placement, but also behind the scenes the effort worked to make journalists aware of eGullet even if they didn't actually do stories on the drink.

It depends what you want them to do, but most publicists can work within a variety of budgets. Typically, you put a publicist on retainer and then you pay by the job (time and expenses) for specific promotions.

Famous restaurants that don't hire a PT firm, probably have someone on staff whose job it is to see that the publicity gets out. Most of the well known restaurants have a mailing list, or mailing lists that are used regualrly. Famous restaurants that do hire outside PR firms, probably have someone in the office whose job it is to deal with the PR firm. No highly successful luxury restaurant gets along without someone doing PR work for it. Public relations involves more than just getting publicity.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Does these PR firms have a menu of what they offer with a price tag ???

Chefs with a sophisticated PR palate generally don't order from the menu. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It depends what you want them to do, but most publicists can work within a variety of budgets. Typically, you put a publicist on retainer and then you pay by the job (time and expenses) for specific promotions.

No. Professional services firms rarely do. It's highly customized and negotiated.

Famous restaurants that don't hire a PT firm, probably have someone on staff whose job it is to see that the publicity gets out. Most of the well known restaurants have a mailing list, or mailing lists that are used regualrly. Famous restaurants that do hire outside PR firms, probably have someone in the office whose job it is to deal with the PR firm. No highly successful luxury restaurant gets along without someone doing PR work for it. Public relations involves more than just getting publicity.

Especially in situations where several restaurants share ownership, PR is often handled in-house by a full-time employee dedicated to that task.

No. Professional services firms rarely do. It's highly customized and negotiated.

Ummm... I got it, just like my catering tariff !!

BTW any good restaurant PRs in CT.

If there were any "good" restaurant PR firms then I would be curious to know what the success/failure rates are for the restaurants they represent are? After all the overall statistics are horrible.

www.motorestaurant.com

I'm the Karen of Diaz/Schloss that FG and Rosie so kindly referred to earlier (thank you both). I'm finding this thread really interesting :biggrin: so i thought i'd take a minute to respond to a couple statements and maybe clarify some points on what PR can and cannot do for a client.

Bux is correct when he notes PR involves more than just getting publicity. Speaking only for my agency, media relations is one aspect of what we do for a client. In some cases, it's by far the most important.

In other cases - where we do not feel there is all that newsworthy a story to tell - we would instead work with the owner(s) to develop & implement internal and external marketing programs (database/ comment cards in an effort to begin a dialogue with customers; cross-promotional tie-ins with area retailers or performing arts centers; design & writing of newsletters or postcard mailings to customers; whatever makes sense).

For the vast majority of our clients - who are, in fact, presenting delicious, compelling, intelligent food and have articulate "spokespersons" to present to the public - we are most likely to create a program that integrates media relations w/all of the above.

Since my husband/partner has a background in art & graphic design, we have designed letterhead, logos, and menus. And as restaurant consultants, we have advised on everything from service to tabletop & internal design components to the music mix. And of course, we work very closely with our chefs, tasting, tasting, tasting new dishes (and old) as well as conferring on presentation and other culinary points.

(Hope i'm not being too "inside baseball" here!!) :unsure:

FG is correct when he says that most PRs are on retainer with their clients. From time to time, we will structure a relationship on a project basis, but that's not what we prefer.

We've tried to create an agency that's all about longterm, trusted relationships with both media AND clients. Some of our clients have been with us since the day we opened our doors (9+ years ago); others since the day THEY opened their doors (5 years in one case; six in two others).

And this brings me to a really critical point. Inventolux, we see ourselves very much as partners in our clients' businesses. (Again, i'm only speaking for my agency and our philosophy - other PRs may legitimately see their roles differently). We strive to become an integral component of their success. A chef may have great culinary ability and a restaurateur may have great intentions ... but far more often, they're not experienced marketers. And in this economic climate, if you're not a smart marketer, it's very hard to succeed.

We don't necessarily judge success by how long (for example) a client's restaurant is in business. A restaurant is a highly collaborative effort and its success or failure may be due to half a dozen elements - only one of which may be the lack of a branded presence in the marketplace.

For our clients, we have acted as liaisons securing them literary agents for their first book deals. We negotiated for one client a steady (paid) gig on The Food Network as a knowledgeable expert on a live show; for another, we got them to appear on 25+ shows on a different (long-running) Food Network series.

We just try to assess each client's needs individually and determine what will help them achieve the goals they're seeking - IF they're reasonable goals. And above all, we're honest. I can't tell you how many times we've been called in to a new restaurant, and after meeting with their team, we schedule a dinner. Too often, the meal barely hits mediocre. And we have to look at the owner & say, you know what? Every parent thinks his baby is the cutest on the block - but you might want to rethink a media campaign!

In my experience, Bux is (again) correct when he says that no highly successful luxury restaurant gets along without someone doing PR work. If a given restaurant doesn't pay an outside agency to do it - you can be sure that someone internally is organizing the star chef's schedule and calendar; arranging the interviews and photo shoots (even if the media's calling him, someone's got to set it up); negotiating the appearance fees and ad placements (like when a chef appears in an ad for Plugra butter); setting up the Beard Dinners; arranging the restaurant's presence at the "right" charitable functions; etc. etc.

I'm not being cynical - i'm just saying someone, somewhere is doing it for him/her.

Finally, yes, Restaurant Associates has not just an internal marketing team but affiliations w/outside agencies as well. I agree with thereuare - their $$ off coupon program has been enormously successful with guests and has paid off handsomely in terms of garnering new (and eventually) loyal customers. They are a smart outfit and it's a brilliant marketing effort.

Phew! I hoped to be helpful here, not opportunistic. Thanx for reading ...