• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft Shelled Crabs

HungryChris

Can't help you with sources (I'm in a different part of the country), but preparation is another matter. First of all, if you can, get them already cleaned (but then you have to cook them very very soon). If you have to clean them, remove the triangular flap on the underside, and the gills.

Once they're clean, they are really easy to cook: coat them with seasoned flour and saute in butter (preferably clarified). OR dip in tempura batter and fry. By the time they look done (nice and golden), they are. All they really need is a squeeze of lemon, if that. Yummmmm.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Suzanne for your reply. Soft shell crabs have been late to arrive in these parts (SE Connecticut) this year.

I have never tried to prepare them, but do have a memory of a cook telling another cook in a resturaunt that I was a Busboy in how to prepare them, that I have never forgotten.

"Cut just Aft of the eyes and remove the part in front, remove the gills, then flip them over and strip off the clinger on the bottom."

They were so perishable that this same cook used to cook the non-survivors

at the end of each shift an pass them out to the help....My first and only taste of Soft Shell Crabs!

Wow, were they good!

I have had some dynamite soft shelled crabs, but have never prepared them.

I have never bought them, for that matter. Anyone have comments on reliable sources and or methods of preparation?

Sources? It depends where you are. How about a major grocery store who carries good seafood or a commercial seafood supplier.

Fun