• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lavender

helenas

I always add a pinch to my own "herbes de provence" mix, along with rosemary, fennel seed, marjoram, basil, and whatever else I feel like throwing in. Like rosemary, though, it is very, very strong -- so only a small amount in relation to everything else. I use this on lamb, chicken, in ratatouille. But it definitely adds a certain "je ne sais quois." :wink:

I had a great dish with lavender at Trio in Chicago last month. On the menu it was listed as "White Pekin Duck, lavender salt, rhubarb, foie gras." The lavender was in the form of a lozenge that you let disolve on the roof of your mouth before you eat the rest of the dish. The best way I can describe it was, as I started eating the duck, my lavender breath coated the meat. It complemented the duck very well, I thought, starting out very strong the first few bites and then fading letting me focus on the other components of the dish (if I remember correctly, I think there was some crispy confit on top along with the rhubarb). By the end I was mixing the last few bites of all the components together for a great finish. The lavender really worked well and it was a unique presentation.

Jeff T, welcome!

Your description is intriguing, but from it, I don't necessarily understand how it was integral to the dish. I mean, could you get the same experience by popping an Altoid in your mouth (though, admittedly, it would mask flavors.)?

And, if you are a Chicagoan, check out the Heartland forum.

I use lavender in vinagrettes, and like Suzanne, I add some to herbs de provence. I had pork tenderloin crusted with lavender and honey years ago.

Nerissa, thanks for the welcome. I think you hit the nail on the head, something like an altoid is just going to mask the dish. The lavender set the stage for what was to come and also I think is a different way to experience the combination of duck and lavender, instead of a more conventional medium such as a sauce. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but its the best way I can think of to explain it.

I check out the Heartland section frequently, but I live about 300 miles from Chicago. I really do enjoy reading many of the different areas on egullet and hope I'll have something to contribute as time goes on.

• 1 month later...