• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Typos

3 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

well, I used Julia's recipe. 

sliced 3/16" (4.7625mm) thick.

took my time caramelizing the onion.

used (pre-stocked) dark roux to thicken a bit.

toasted bread and cheese on the casserole floor; toasted bread & cheese topping.

it all went according to plan, and bombed.

as some have pointed out, 100% beef stock turns out a very strong / overpowering soup.

DW did not care for the wine bit, and was particular put-off by the cognac.

if I do it again, I think I'll go with water and perhaps some ? seasonings - but no wine, no cognac.

I am sorry it bombed but I do not think it was necessarily the fault of the soup.  By it’s very nature onion soup is not likely to be mild. It certainly is not to everyone’s taste. I think there are many soups that would be much more pleasing to DW. 

Anna N

Anna N

3 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

well, I used Julia's recipe. 

sliced 3/16" (4.7625mm) thick.

took my time caramelizing the onion.

used (pre-stocked) dark roux to thicken a bit.

toasted bread and cheese on the casserole floor; toasted bread & cheese topping.

it all went according to plan, and bombed.

as some have pointed out, 100% beef stock turns out a very strong / overpowering soup.

DW did not care for the wine bit, and was particular put-off by the cognac.

if I do it again, I think I'll go with water and perhaps some ? seasonings - but no wine, no cognac.

I am sorry it  bombed but I do not think it was necessarily the fault of the soup.  By it’s very nature onion soup is not likely to be mild. It certainly is not to everyone’s taste. I think there are many suits that would be much more pleasing to DW.