• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butter

sammy

My wife and I are attending a dinner party at Butter this Saturday night and was wondering if any Gulleteers have been there yet.

Thanks in advance for your input.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I've never been, but of what I know it is supposed to be good. Just not the "hot" spot it was when it opened. It was getting some very "trendy" clientele when it first opened. I'd like to know how it was if you go.

Went to a party at Butter Saturday night. Tough if not impossible to judge a restaurant based on the food served at a party so I won't go into detail but the food was definitely well prepared and tasty. Service was also good, especially the bar staff who made great drinks. Great looking space.

Bar area and restaurant were packed from 9:00 PM on with a "trendy" crowd. Interestingly, many more women than men.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

• 1 year later...

I got a dilemma on my hands: a good friend of mine who I haven't seen in a couple months is having a birthday celebration at Butter. Just Menupage-d and Citysearch-ed this place. Four dollar signs on Citysearch! No meal prices on Menupages! These are not good signs, as I am po'.

Anyone got the goods on this place--what are the prices like, what's the food like, etc.?

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

We dined here as a group of 9 last winter. Let's just say as a group of 9 we called a hour before and got reservations. I didn't book it and was weary to dine here. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. Would I dine here again? Maybe after 11pm after my options are limited. I will tell you though there were some beautiful people there. It turns to a model hangout late.

The web site lists Alexandra Guarnaschelli as executive chef. Adam Platt's review in New York Magazine - July 15, 2002, mentions executive chef Keith Harry.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Butter is one of P. Diddy's hangouts

That is so not a good sign. Sigh.

I don't know about that.

I think Puffy has good taste.

I don't know if I can say that about his hangers on nor his fans, but that's not a reflection on him.

If he can profit off of that relationship, more power to him.

He knows how to make the most of his situation.

But that's enough OT discussion.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.