• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bohemian Beer

Elissa

It's illegal to export most of it to the US, and the divine liquids don't travel well anyhow. But has anyone drunken their way through Bohemia's many distinct, flavorful, complex, unique beers? Each town in Bohemia crafts several of its own: Nova Paka and Stara Paka in the north, Ceske Budejovice in the south...over 80 beers in the area.

Perfect agricultural conditions for growing hops must be Bohemia's secret. 1100 years ago, in 903, Bohemian hops were so prized that King Wenceslas ordered death to anyone caught exporting the cuttings, from which new plants could be grown. In 1088, the first Czech king, Vratislav II, decreed that his estates should pay a hop title to the church. The U Fleku microbrewery in Prague has been in operation since 1499 and is still going strong.

I'd venture that Czech beer puts everything from Germany to shame and that even Belgium is hardpressed to compete. Granted, lighter beers are my preference, black and chocolate being most often too heavy for my palate. But after spending over a year in Bohemia drinking the stuff, I returned to the States largely incapable of stomaching American beer, except the occasional (6-pack or two of) Bud and the delicious Blue Heron when I'm in the NW. In my experience, even the most earnest US attempts to make a palatable beer pale pathetically.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

In our trip to PRG, last year; we took some time to drive up the country - near the edge of Slovakia - Had opportunity to sample a few - Given the fact that in PRG, imported whisky is very expensive, one had to revert to local beer on tap - Which is rather good and relatively strong.

Did you try the Budvar ? and the original Bud ? :smile:

anil

I thought Budvar WAS the original Bud... its marketed as Czechvar here in the US.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=32&t=3060

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I thought Budvar WAS the original Bud... its marketed as Czechvar here in the US.

The Radio Prague site (link above) says: the Czech name Budweiser ("The Beer of Kings" was their slogan, as kings dug it) was lifted by the American brewer Adolphus Busch in 1876. When the Czech brewery, a few years later, wished to begin exports to the New World, Budvar had to be given a different name and for a while was sold in the US as Crystal. The companies are currently entangled in a trademark dispute: Budvar, "The Original Budweiser" V. the American "Bud" as its been referring to itself in recent years. There are outstanding trademark lawsuits in Portugal, Egypt and Italy. Or were. Or will be...

Anheuser-Busch, along with some 40 other foreign firms, has been trying to buy a stake in Budvar since 1989. The Czechs are wary of foreign investment, but the world's biggest brewer (Anheuser-Bush annually brews 5 times as much beer as all the Czech breweries together) lacks no alacrity. The company spends thousands of dollars in Ceske Budejovice every year, funding everything from pre-schools to beer festivals to win over the locals.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Yes you are right - I meant Budvar, the original Bud; instead of "and"

If you look at what is happening in Old Praha as well as near Old Municipal Hall; you'd be shocked and depressed. There are more and more McDonalds, Pizza Huts, Burger Kings (and all packed no doubt) than there are the old beer halls :smile:

All Yankee style bars in Berlin serve what the most ? You got it ! Bud !!!! :smile:

anil