• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking above the French House

I remember first eating your food in the little dining room above Soho's legendary French House pub. I'd be fascinated to know more about that experience: How did you come to open in such an unlikely space? Was that the first time you served a menu reflecting your distinctive take on British food? How did you find cooking for the somewhat eccentric clientele?

We came to The French House, we being my wife Margot Clayton and business partner at the time Jon Spiteri, basically because we all spent too much time in the bar I'm afraid. It seemed a natural progression that we should go upstairs and cook!

I had cooked previously at The Globe, a members club in Notting Hill but it's true to say that cooking at The French House was where the indigenous nature of my cooking became more focused.

Clientele? Well, still am over in Smithfield...and as happily as I did then.