• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grimes reviews The Chipper

Liza

I don't know why Grimes is reviewing this kind of restaurant, but that's another subject. Might I just observe that "smoked cod" is not a recognizable dish to this Britisher. Deep fried smoked cod? Weird.

Has anyone been to Salt and Battery?

Quite agree about smoked cod.

Still, I'd take just about any fish and chips at the moment.

What NYC needs is a good meat pie shop.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Smoked cod in kedgeree? Smoked haddock I grew up with, of course, but I just don't remember seeing smoked cod at all.

Thank you for saving me a visit to Salt and Battery. I have been peering through the window recently.

That may indeed be Grimes's confusion, but I am still having trouble believing it was deep fried. Maybe they had a regular smoked haddock dish on the menu, but he assumed it went into the deep fryer.

Edit: Have someone pull your tongue out of your mouth.

Edit edit: Looked at the article again. He doesn't actually state that the smoked cod is deep fried; there's a sliughtly ambiguous juxtaposition with his description of the fryers.

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

No, Grimes is right. Looks like they really do deep fry smoked cod. "It's an Irish and English practice," I was told during a rigorous telephone interview.

Well the Scots don't do that sort of thing to the best of my knowledge.

By the way, Wilf, remember the "A" in "A Salt and Battery"--you don't get the horrid name of the place otherwise.

Think it might be smoked cod rather than haddock due to the winter restrictions on the commercial haddock fishery. In my opinion, fried smoked cod seems to busy and strong. Have one or the other. Right now I am enjoying some smoked amberjack and a cold bass ale. Yum.