• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Tartlets

Fat Guy

Wow, this is like a sneak preview of next week's column, which is about recipes.

Since other people always enter my recipes into the eGRA, I have no real right to complain, so carry on.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Charlie Trotter has a recipe for a Bacon and Caramalized Onion Tart which is excellent - and it does have onion in it! :smile:

It is in the CT Cooks at Home Book and Ill post the recipe if you want...

waiting with bated breath awbby baby

As am I. So where's the recipe??!? Now all I can think of is bacon and caramelized onions . . .

So post the recipe, already, 'brig!

Here it is...It really is a great tart...And it's obviously a savory course not a dessert tart...Altho many on eG wouldnt mind a bacon dessert! :smile:

Bacon and Caramelized Onion Tart

serves 6

DOUGH

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup cold unsalted butter, chopped

2/3 cup ice water

FILLING

3 large yellow onions, julienned

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 pound bacon, julienned

1 egg yolk

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

TO PREPARE THE DOUGH: Place the flour, salt, and butter in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the flour until it forms pea-sized chunks. Add the water and mix with a fork until the dough just comes together (it should have visible streaks of butter). Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

TO PREPARE THE FILLING: Cook the onions with the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionly, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the onions are golden brown and caramelized. Season with salt and pepper and cool to room temperature.

Cook the bacon in a large saute' pan over medium heat, stirring occasionlly, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crisp. Drain on paper towels and cool to room temperature. Combine the bacon with the onions.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together the egg yolks, cream, and thyme in a small bowl.

TO PREPARE THE TART: On a floured surface, roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick, and then press into an 8-or9-inch tart pan, trimming any excess. Spoon the onion-bacon mixture on top of the dough, pour in the cream mixture, and top with freshly ground pepper.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until just firm to the touch and a light golden brown. Cool slightly before cutting and serving.

INSIGHTS: THis tart can also be cut into 1-inch squares for canape's. To prepare the canape's ahead, cook according to the directions and cool completely. Just prior to serving, cut the tart into 1-inch squares, place the squares on a baking sheet, and place in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until warm.

Edited by awbrig (log)

I've edited the recipe to give credit to Charlie Trotter. By the way brig, I assume then you had permission to post it? :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

The recipe looks intriguing.  Can anyone tell me why vineagr is sometimes added to pie crusts?

The acid weakens the gluten in the four and helps produce a more tender crust. This is also one of the reasons buttermilk is used in some biscuit, cake and pancake recipes.

Buttermilk is also used as an acid to react with baking soda to generate carbon dioxide bubbles that produce the rise in some baked goods.

Jim