• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite French cheeses

Elissa

your favorite:

triple creme/juicy camemberties

complex goats

smokey, sharp, putrid but heavenly or stinky and old

cheeses.

thanks

*for a friend in los angeles.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Unfortuantely the secret of finding good cheese has little to do with knowing what names to ask for. Poor conditions during shipping and storage can ruin the best cheese.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If you get it with the proper affinage, St. Maure is an excellent goat cheese. It's the one that's in the shape of a log with the straw through the center. Valencay is also excellent (the truncated pyramid). And the old reliable Crotin de Chavignol, when aged well, might just be the most complex at any given point in time.

Epoissee is a grand, fabulous cheese. It presents a little bit of a transportation challenge, but would fit the bill of your putrid but heavenly cheese.

Open to sheep cheeses? There are some super ones there. They range from hard (Ossau-Iraraty) to soft (Lingot).

If she's going to Paris, best bet is to go to one of the top cheese shops and ask for their recommendations. I think the board's opinion is split on Marie Cantin vs. Barthelemy, but she'll have a grand time at either place.

Edited by Beachfan (log)

beachfan

*for a friend in los angeles who'd like to get it there

Now that I've reread the thread, I'm not sure I'm clear on where "there" is. I assumed California, but others seem to think France.

Needless to say, I'm here, not there. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Yes, just go and taste. Have your friend try the Beverly Hills Cheese Store. Generous and patient with samples. May also want to search/post on California board.

As for Paris. I made bread today - for the first time - baguette, pain de mie, rye flour. Stopped at Marie Anne Cantin for cheese to celebrate. A 24 month aged Comte, a relatively fresh Rocamadour and a very ripe and creamy Epoisse. Bread, wine, cheese for dinner. The French trilogy.