• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Notable at Wegmans

helenas

it's truly remarkable how they keep adding new and interesting products all the time.

Among the recent favorites, that can be found in the Manalapan store:

Greek Total Yogurt (check the organic section);

Cypress Grove Chevres;

Spanish Fig Cake;

Mortadella by Principe di San Daniele;

Several types of Columbus salami, praised by "Rosengarten Report";

Please, add to the list.

Gorgeous asparagus at the Princeton store right now.

The single best product line in the store is the Pierre Herme chocolate collection, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

also how about foie gras or truffles?

The Manalapan store recently began carrying fresh foie gras from D'Artagnan. Two slices per package. $50/lb.

I haven't looked recently, but when the store first opened, they did carry truffles.

in bethlehem, PA, they have lemongrass and fresh kaffir lime leaf.  the former is becoming more and more available at regular upscale markets, but the latter is very hard to find even in north jersey (which has a pretty good selection of asian markets).

tommy -

whadayya think of bethlehem store? I haven't been there, but their Nazareth store (north by northeast of b'edlam) resembles the Bridgewater store

that area has a significant Latino/a population, did you notice ingredients which might be especially suited to that demographic?

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Wegmans in Bridgewater jsut opened a wine and spirits shop. can't speak for the wine but the beer selection is very good for Belgians. Prices seem up and down on the beer, higherfor some and cheaper for others.

Wegman's in Bridgewater has a fabulous olive bar. We picked up small amounts of green olives mixed with red pepper flakes, a cajun mix of green, dark(?) and pink olives in a wonderful spicy brine and a morrocan mix of green and dark olives (not pitted!) with cinnamon stick and other wonderful spices. We were back there yesterday to stock up on the cajun and morrocan olives. They were great with some thinly sliced manchego as a pre-dinner cocktail nibble.

The liquor store doesn't have the low prices of some of the local stores, but they have a corner devoted to northeastern wines from New York, Ontario and New Jersey, to name a few. We picked up a bottle of Inniskillin reisling. They also have some unusual beers, ales and liquers. Worth checking out just for the items not usually found in other local stores.

KathyM

tommy -

whadayya think of bethlehem store?  I haven't been there, but their Nazareth store (north by northeast of b'edlam) resembles the Bridgewater store

from what i saw, i was well impressed. especially considering the options i've found in that area. i believe it's technically the "allentown" wegmans.

• 3 weeks later...

We are very fond of D'Artagnan's merguez which I have always been able to purchase at Delicious Orchards. At the Manalapan Wegman's, which is much closer to my home than DO, I noticed that they carried various D'Artagnan sausages, but not merguez. So, a couple of weeks ago, I spoke to the manager of the meat dept., and not long after, they began stocking it. That's what I call customer service! :smile:

We are very fond of D'Artagnan's merguez which I have always been able to purchase at Delicious Orchards.  At the Manalapan Wegman's, which is much closer to my home than DO, I noticed that they carried various D'Artagnan sausages, but not merguez.  So, a couple of weeks ago, I spoke to the manager of the meat dept., and not long after, they began stocking it.  That's what I call customer service!  :smile:

I agree...I went to purchase D'artagnan Chorizo 2x, after I had seen it...but when I went , no inventory. I spoke to the managar, explained that if there was not consistancy, I could not depend on them...chorizo every week...yes, I buy three packages and freeze what I don't need, in order to prove a point!!LOL! :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Another testimony to WEgman's service superiority.

I've been looking for Total yogurt at the Princeton Wegman's, and have found only empty fridge space. I e-mailed their general service contact, and in three days rec'd a lovely e-mail from the Princeton store manager, explaining, down to the time of delivery, when it will be in ( Friday,s delivered at noon, usually on the shelves by 2pm, for those keeping track) This is a great store!

• 2 weeks later...

The Sunday 4/27 NY Times NJ section has a comment that the Ocean Township area is next on line for a Wegmans after Woodbridge.

Other expansions are intended for South Jersey, none for northern NJ.

Links to follow

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Ooh! I live so close to the Manalapan, NJ Wegmans! They do carry caviar, although Im not sure I would be purchasing caviar from them. They do carry many different D'Artangan products, including my favorite, Pate de Foie Gras. I would not ever purchase the slices of foie gras from them, as they look horrible in the packages, disintegrating inside. I made the mistake of buying them once or twice and have vowed to just get my foie fras at a restaurant with a qualified chef! lol In other words, Im not qualified to cook it. Besides, doesnt it taste much better when somebody does it for you? Chef Tim, over at Spargo's Grille comes up w/ creative FG dishes for us every week! Have I mentioned how much I love his restaurant? :rolleyes:

Michelle

• 1 month later...

Dee and I stopped over at the Bridgewater Wegmans for a walk-about. I get there regularly, and she rarely visits, so it was time for a George HW Bush moment.

highlights:

Produce self-marking has expanded. You pick produce, put it in a bag, put the bag on the scale, select the product on the touchpad, and print your own PKU label for the bag.

Bakery was going full blast, lots of foccacia, boules, rye bread coming out of the oven. People were waiting for bread to cool. The Pierre Herme chocolate shop is still going strong, about 20 feet of counter space. Wide rage of chocolate, candied fruits, etc. Most chocolates were $32.95 per pound. Free samples of candied apricot on shortbread.

Kosher service meat counter 20 feet of counter with display area, then a non-kosher service area. The display cases were separate. Among the non-kosher offerings were rib steaks ($5.99), lamb chops (8 ribs for $14.99), rib roast ($7.99).

The meat self-serve had individually shrink wrapped london broil, single prime ribs, etc along with pre-pack garlic mashed potatoes, poblano mashed potatoes, haricot vert, etc. Construct your own heat and eat gourmet meal.

Irradiated beef was prominent. They offered tubes of 1 pound and 4 pound ground beef in 80/20 and 92/8 meat/fat choices. The butcher told me they are selling "a lot" and recently expanded the space available. As with the gourmet pre-packs, the grilling area had rolls, salads, etc for take-away. Price for irradiated beef was $1.99, about 20 cents more than the locally processed stuff.

I don't have my notes on the fresh cheese area, which has also been expanded. When I find them, I'll post.

rancho gordo

We've been making a point of getting to the Bridgewater Wegman's at least once a week now. The Wegman's yogurt still comes in 8 oz cups and great flavors like strawberry/kiwi and pineapple. I sent them an email encouraging them to keep the 8 oz cups that most of the other yogurt makers have discontinued. I received a reply stating that they are dependent upon their supplier who has not yet downsized to 6 oz. I won't be happy if they downsize, but they have a really great product and it's always on sale - 3 @ $1.

We also got a great deal on a patio set there. A 60" square tempered glass and aluminum table and 8 sling chairs for @ $350. We took the floor model since they were not getting any more sets in. They discounted it from $529 and gave us free delivery.

We took my sister and husband to Wegman's in April. When they came over in May they made sure we took them again! They wanted to stock up on their coffee. It's a really great store! :biggrin:

KathyM