• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Buddha (Mandarin) Vegetarian Restaurant

DavidJS

I recently tried a Chinese Mandarin style vegetarian place with some Taiwanese friends in Flushing. Although I was never a big chinese culinary lover this place rocks (even better than Zen Palatte at times). One of my biggest problems with Chinese cuisine was my lack of education of the various styles (Shanghai, Cantonese, Taiwanese, Mandarin, etc,), the hardcore taste buds that's more suited for hardcore Chinese and too much oil in their cooking. I figured after my numerous 'westernized' Chinese dishes such as sesame chicken and chicken & brocolli didn't sit too well with my Taiwanese date. She went on a rampage to how un-advertureous I was in her native country cuisine. If she only knew my track record of stomach problems with Chinese food in China town.

Her knowing full well that I'm fairly heath conscious and very particular with food she invited me to Happy Buddha. Although the decor is nothing to write about which seems to be fairly common among Chinese restaurants in Flushing (unlike Korean restaurants with nicer decor). Their food was creative, inventive and delicious!

Oddly enough I was told to ask for a 'photo' menu since some items aren't listed in the regular menu. Go figure. For appetizers I had what looked like cooked california roll look a like (its in the photo menu) - very tasty. Couldn't get enough of it. Here are some items we got.

Fried Large Veggie Shrimps -- they taste like shrimp reminds me of Japanese tempera

Assorted Dishes Deluxe -- addictive

Shredded Buddha delight -- good

Veggie Sesame chicken -- better than beef

... and soup which I don't remember the name except it was tasty

I'll admit I was the only non-Chinese in the restaurant but the waitress seems very courtesy and helpful with her limited english. They have a website to review the item and prices.

http://www.happybuddha.com/content/menu.html

Edited by DavidJS (log)

Not to be rude, but I'm unaware of "Mandarin" being a culinary style. Its a language, not a cuisine.

Also, that's not Chinese food that I'm familiar with. Could be Chinese food from Mars though... :blink:

As for "too much oil in their cooking", while I can't speak for your past experiences, that's like saying there's too much beef in American cuisine. Try Grand Sichuan International next time. It might knock your socks off.

SA

Not to be rude, but I'm unaware of "Mandarin" being a culinary style.  Its a language, not a cuisine.

From James Y.C. Sze's Chinese Food Page (

http://pluto.ucsd.edu/jsze/food/#types)

"Mandarin (Beijing):

Mandarin cuisine is commonly referred to as "Beijing style," but in fact it encompasses most northern provinces. Since the principle crops are wheat, millet, sorghum, peanuts, corn, and soybeans, many of the foods in this region are wheat-based (as a opposed to rice-based), so Beijing cuisine consists of a variety of dumplings, baked and steamed breads, various buns and noodles.

Mandarin-style meals usually include vegetable dishes, soups, tofu (soybean curd), and fish. The food is mild in taste, is often slightly oily, and vinegar and garlic are common ingredients; food is frequently fried, stewed, or braised.

Some favorite snack foods, such as buns and dumplings, can double as meals. Round flat buns are stuffed with meat and pan-fried or baked with sesame seeds sprinkled on top, while dumplings are filled with a meat or vegetable mixture and steamed, boiled, or fried. " (emphasis added)

Also: "The word mandarin means "Chinese official," and mandarin cooking suggests an aristocratic cuisine that gleans the very finest elements from all the regions."

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't know though that Chinese food as we know it or at least as exemplified by establishments on this board and "healthful" can co-exist on the same plane though.

I mean, for someone like DavidJS, I suppose, there's always going to be too much oil and grease, etc. in anything s/he tries. Ah, the dilemma...

Btw, has anyone ever been to Hangawi? Its supposed to be Korean veggie heaven. (Hangawi, located on 32nd and Fifth Avenue in midtown Manhattan).

SA

My posting was never to offend Soba nor did I try to educate YOU about the chinese style cooking. But more about my self awareness about the cuisine. Try to lighten up this isn't meant to dog your country. Plus 'Mandarin' style food wasn't my words but my Taiwanese friends so if you have a beef with anyone its your own peers.

As far as my experience with too much oil in chinese food. Perhaps you haven't had that experience but I did on too numerous ocassion. Where I would ALWAYS ask for very little oil. Even my Taiwanese associates agreed that oil plays a big role in Chinese food. Maybe when I was in my early 20's I had an iron stomach but now I've reached 31 that isn't the case.

All in all Happy Buddha is worth trying out for everyone even for the carnivores.

Whatever.

If you read my post, you'll see that

a) I expressed my lack of awareness of what is apparently a commonly used descriptor as applied to Beijing-style or northern Chinese cuisine. Ron, in his reply to me, kindly clarified the term with respect to the context used in your post;

b) I stated my opinion that you had food which did not match with the Chinese food I am familiar with. I then offered a recommendation which you could take (or not) at your leisure.

I fail to comprehend what possible relevance my country of origin (which, btw, is NOT China, but thank you for the implication!) could possibly have with respect to the matter referenced above. Any enlightenment you could bestow on this unworthy soul would be greatly appreciated.

Your statement regarding "too much oil" in Chinese cuisine IS a generalization albeit colored by your past experience, but is a generalization nonetheless. Gee, next time I post a review about some temple of gastronomy (oh, let's say Daniel for instance), you won't mind if I make a blatant generalization about French cuisine ("there's too much pretension in their cuisine")? Then you can watch everyone on this board jump all over me just like you think I jumped all over you. Fair's fair, I guess.

As Elaine's fond of saying, "WHATEVER!"

SA

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Soba you need to start finding a hobby besides venting out. It's disturbing that you find such comments enough to be in 'defence' mode. Lighten up. We're commenting on our culinary delight and sharing it with everyone. Btw, I tried to reply to your PM about some misunderstanding but apparently you fail to be courtesy about this matter. Pick your fight carefully my friend.

DavidJS, welcome to eGullet. Chinese cuisine is a wonderful area to explore.

Soba, there's no problem here, my friend.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Btw, has anyone ever been to Hangawi?  Its supposed to be Korean veggie heaven.  (Hangawi, located on 32nd and Fifth Avenue in midtown Manhattan).

SA

I went several years ago with a friend of mine (it was her birthday), and had a wonderful if not terribly filling meal. I've heard talk that the quality has gone down some--can anyone confirm this?