• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Shoyu Chicken Experiment

Shel_B

A few months ago I was introduced to Shoyu Chicken, soy-sauce marinated chicken thighs.  It was this video that got me interested in the dish:  https://youtu.be/J7ip778ulqo

I was intrigued by its simplicity and potentially flavorful marinade.  The first chance I got, I made the recipe. I was unhappy with the result, but saw the potential the recipe offered. I decided to experiment with it.

The second attempt added an overnight marinade, additional brown sugar, adding Japanese brown rice vinegar (which I had overlooked the previous time I made the recipe), and paying attention to, and noting the amounts of, the aromatics being used.  This was much improved, but the marinade was too astringent and sharp.  I wanted something mellower.  

The next attempt was much better.  I used the soy sauce mentioned in the video, and the ingredients told an interesting story.  As a soy sauce that I'd use in stir fry and other cooking, the quality and ingredients would keep it on the sideline.  But as a marinade for this dish, it definitely had potential.  The sauce contains sugar, and is formulated to be, at least to my taste, mild and somewhat smooth.  My spidey senses were on full alert.  The "typical" soy sauce used in Hawaiian versions, Aloha brand, also includes sugar.  I'll try the Aloha brand at some point. It's easy to come by as it's sold in a close-by market.

I mixed the marinade a little differently.  I used my home made chicken stock instead of water on the second try, and this time I went back to plain water.  I also increased the soy sauce to 1 2/3 cups and the water to two cups.  I added 1/2 cup brown sugar instead of the 1/4 called for in the initial recipe.

Unfortunately, I had no chicken thighs in stock, but I'd recently picked up a big package of Costco drumsticks, and decided to use six of them for this dish today.  I will go back to the thighs when I next make the dish.  They look better and they cook better.

Chicken was marinated overnight, and was cooked at a somewhat slower than the previous simmer for about 45 minutes.  Afterwards, I let them sit in the marinade for 45 minutes before final preparation.  Some of the chicken went under the broiler for five minutes and some were plated without that additional step.  Both were good in their own way, and were I serving this to guests, I'd offer both choices.

In all instances, the cooking liquid was strained and thickened with corn starch.  I may decide to cook it down a little before thickening, perhaps increase the flavor somewhat.

Thus far, this dish shows great promise.  It's simple to prepare, inexpensive to procure, and pleasant to partake of.  I shall continue working on this dish ... I'm getting close to what I'm seeking.

Edited by Shel_B
Addl Info (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... Shel