• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tindora squash

MaryIsobel

Wasn't sure where to post this. I don't need identification - the tag says what it is. They are so cute - the biggest ones were about 2" long. I've searched a few recipes online but just curious if anyone has a tried and true for tindora squash?

squash - 1.jpeg

Those are overripe. They should be completely green rather than showing traces of yellow, and the skin should be unwrinkled.

I usually cut into wedges: 4 or 8 pieces depending on size, then fry some garlic, maybe asafoetida,salt, then coriander powder, turmeric, fry the spice briefly to bring out their aromas, then add the tindora wedges, mix, add a bit less than a cup of water, then cover and let boil, stirring occasionally, till the tindora are cooked through and the liquid has reduced to a thick sauce clinging to them. Takes about ten minutes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anzu said:

Those are overripe. They should be completely green rather than showing traces of yellow, and the skin should be unwrinkled.

I usually cut into wedges: 4 or 8 pieces depending on size, then fry some garlic, maybe asafoetida,salt, then coriander powder, turmeric, fry the spice briefly to bring out their aromas, then add the tindora wedges, mix, add a bit less than a cup of water, then cover and let boil, stirring occasionally, till the tindora are cooked through and the liquid has reduced to a thick sauce clinging to them. Takes about ten minutes.

Thanks for the info on the ripeness. I did wonder if they were past their prime. I’ll try some if I see some that look as you described. 

• Like 1