• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I rely on Bob's medium grind corn meal for almost everything. Especially corn bread. If you ground it a bit further you might get closer to fine grind. But do specify what you want the fine grind for.

Fair enough ... I've been making this recipe for several years, and have used Bob's medium grind and Bob's polenta for this and my other corn meal needs. However, the recipe specifically calls for a finer grind (Quaker!) and I'd like to try it with a finer grind.

Sure, I can use Quaker, but I prefer not to.  It would be my last choice.  

https://youtu.be/kO9P89V9_qY

I've ordered a fine and coarser grade of Italian polenta to experiment with.

My results with the coarser corn meal and polenta have been good, but maybe the finer grind will give a better result.  Quite likely something different.

Hadn't thought about whizzing the polenta or medium grind in the processor or blender.  Good suggestion.  Will do!

Shel_B

Shel_B

39 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I rely on Bob's medium grind corn meal for almost everything. Especially corn bread. If you ground it a bit further you might get closer to fine grind. But do specify what you want the fine grind for.

Fair enough ... I've been making this recipe for several years, and have used Bob's medium grind and Bob's polenta for this, and my other corn meal needs. However, the recipe specifically calls for a finer grind (Quaker!) and I'd like to try it with a finer grind.

Sure, I can use Quaker, but I don't want to.  It would be my last choice.  

My results with the coarser corn meal and polenta have been good, but maybe the finer grind will give a better result.  Quite likely something different.

Hadn't thought about whizzing the polenta or medium grind in the processor or blender.  Good suggestion.  Will do!

Shel_B

Shel_B

10 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Fair enough ... I've been making this recipe for several years, and have used Bob's medium grind and Bob's polenta. However, the recipe specifically calls for a finer grind (Quaker!) and I'd like to try it with a finer grind.

Sure, I can use Quaker, but I don't want to.  It would be my last choice.  

My results with the coarser corn meal and polenta have been good, but maybe the finer grind will give a better result.  Surely something different.