• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Texas Coastal Bend

Topic will be automatically locked at 01:54 PM

TX Salt Life

As I am writing this post I am watching the track of hurricane Beryl.  Where I live on the Texas coast (Aransas Pass), is in the cone of uncertainty.  My husband and I own and manage an RV park on the coast.  We survived  Cat 4 Hurricane Harvey and don't want to go through another one of those.

I love to grow, catch, cook, preserve and eat all types of food.  Working in my kitchen brings me such joy.  Many times we get together with guests in our RV park and cook the days catch together.  I am hoping to find new recipes to share with our guests.  Plus, learn new tips and tricks when working with fish and seafood.  The main types of fish in our area is:  Speckled Trout, Red Drum, Black Drum, Flounder, Mangrove Snapper, Red Snapper, Triple Tail, Grouper, Amberjack, Kingfish, and Mahi-mahi (Durado).  Seafood is mainly:  Shrimp, oysters, and crab.

I have a small garden that I grow fresh veggies and herbs.  I have just started getting into canning with items out of my garden.  I just canned watermelon jam, lemon curd and lime curd.

Another interest I have started to play with is baking with freshly milled wheat.  At present I have a pretty good sandwich bread made with freshly milled wheat and yeast.  Next adventure is to try sourdough with freshly milled wheat.

Here's to many hours of checking out this forum.

• Like 9

Welcome, @TX Salt Life!

Prior to Hurrican Harvey, my husband and I spent happy times camped on the Bolivar Peninsula, just north of Rollover Pass; and also on Goose Island State Park near where you live. Those were fun times. We hated to read about the devastation at the state parks and the private resorts. Here's hoping Beryl gives you a miss.

We particularly enjoyed buying seafood at the local shops and figuring out what to do with it. His preferred method of dealing with almost anything was to fry it -- but there's so much more to do than that! I'm fond of shrimp with pasta, for instance. And the oysters! Oh, yum. Your gatherings with guests for communal cooking sound fun, and I hope you'll say more about that.

Lime curd and lemon curd are familiar and delicious to me, but I hope you'll post about watermelon jam -- either here or in one of the continually open topics. Here are some you may especially enjoy:

What are you preserving, and how are you doing it?

Gardening: (2016-)

If you have any questions about how the forums work or where to post something, feel free to ask a host (I am one). 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

What sort of preparations do you have to make, and how soon do you make them? I'm thinking about storm shutters, but maybe not in an RV park? Do you advise your guests to leave? How far inland and how quickly would people have to move in an evacuation? Do you have water stored, a standby generator or three? What, if anything, can you do with your garden?

Is there anything left of fresh produce, sandwich fixings, bread etc. (food that doesn't need to be cooked) in the aisles of the local HEB?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

By the way, what sort of humongous fish is that in your profile photo? Looks like a nice catch. I'm looking forward to reading about your fish preparations!

I have just sent out a notice to our renters to make their decisions.  Once Beryl enters the Gulf of Mexico you might have 2 days.  If you pull out traffic will be bad and gas stations will be packed.  Those who keep their RV at the coast should pull in all slides and secure outside items so they do not become projectiles.  Yes, the grocery store will become bare.  During hurricane Harvey our local grocery store HEB has plans in place once the storm passes.  They bring necessities into the effected areas quickly.  One thing that I do remember from Harvey was the amount of help that our coastal area received from all of our neighbors in Texas and the United States.  Our power in our park was out for 3 weeks (not fun).  

The fish in my pic is a Red Drum.  These guys will give you a good fight.  As for my garden at this point it is about done from all the heat.  I did manage to can Roasted Marinara Sauce, Garden Spaghetti Sauce, Bruschetta in a jar, Salsa, Cowboy Candy and Cowboy Candy BBQ Sauce.

I have a bad feeling in my gut and hoping this will change.  I will try and keep up, but if we take a hit I will probably loose my way to get info out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1