• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kernza Wheat

lindag

I don't know if any of you are interested in milling your own flours...

but I ran across information on a new type of wheat that I found fascinating.

Kernza.  I plan to try it in sone sourdough bread very soon.

• Like 5

On 6/20/2024 at 2:16 PM, lindag said:

I don't know if any of you are interested in milling your own flours...

but I ran across information on a new type of wheat that I found fascinating.

Kernza.  I plan to try it in sone sourdough bread very soon.

I just heard about this a month or so ago.  I made a mental note to ask my farmers what they think about it but I haven't done it yet.  It would be interesting to plant some.....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've nnow found that Kernza  flour is readily available from Amazon

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I got the berries from another source so I can mill my own flour.

So far I've been getting wonderful results with the breads made with freshly milled white whole wheat berries.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

I was absolutely enchanted with the first batch of Kernza I tried, where there was a remarkable floral note like wheat crossed with vanilla orchid, but the bulk batch I bought after the smaller quantities were gone has been merely very tasty and not extraordinary.  Because of that floral note, I first used it mostly in sweet or sweetish cookies, cakes, or breakfast breads.  I've used my bulk purchase more in breads and crackers but not usually as the sole flour, because the high proportion of bran and distinctive gluten properties don't lend themselves to light sandwich loaves.  I think it was most successful as very wet, soft dough baked in muffin tins for support or as flatbreads when not cut with modern high-protein wheat berries for yeasted breads.

• Like 2