• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Charlie asked me if we could have our annual corned beef brisket a day early or late this year because his car club is having its monthly meeting on Sunday. He tried to tell the president that finding a quiet corner for 15 guys in a bar on St. Patricks day was unlikely but they are going ahead with the plan.  I decided this morning to make it today.  Along with the corned beef, I made Irish soda scones because I have a rotten record of making Irish soda  bread. Also roasted cabbage wedges which looked fine in the oven until I took them out and found they were burnt on the bottom.  Everything else came out well. It was Irish roast potatoes,Parsnips, carrots and rutabaga cooked in the strained beef broth after it was cooked. It may seem strange that we had Scotch eggs too but the recipe came out of an Irish Bar Food cookbook and is the best one I have ever made. 

IMG_1516.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Charlie asked me if we could have our annual corned beef brisket a day early or late this year because his car club is having its monthly meeting on Sunday. He tried to tell the president that finding a quiet corner for 15 guys in a bar of St. Patricks day was unlikely but they are going ahead with the plan.  I decided this morning to make it today.  Along with the corned beef, I made Irish soda scones because I have a rotten record of making Irish soda  bread. Also roasted cabbage wedges which looked fine in the oven until I took them out and found they were burnt on the bottom.  Everything else came out well. It was Irish roast potatoes,Parsnips, carrots and rutabaga cooked in the strained beef broth after it was cooked. It may seem strange that we had Scotch eggs too but the recipe came out of an Irish Bar Food cookbook and is the best one I have ever made. 

IMG_1516.jpg