• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

2 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Still, are there no local "peasant" cheeses available in your area?

There is a lot of local cheese and it is on the order of the queso Fresca that you would find in Mexico. There are two dairies in Costa Rica that make cheddar and swiss type cheeses but they are way overpriced and you might as well be eating greasy rubber. Imported cheeses are very expensive except for the Walmart brand and these are good for cooking. When I want an eating cheese I splurge and buy an imported cheese. I've been here over 30 years so I'm pretty experienced in making do with what I can find. 

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

2 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Still, are there no local "peasant" cheeses available in your area?

There is a lot of local cheese and it is on the order of the queso Fresca that you would find in Mexico. There are two dairies in Costa Rica that make cheddar and swiss type cheeses but they are way overpriced and you might as well be eating greasy rubber. Imported cheeses are very expensive except for the Walmart brand and these are good for cooking. What I want an eating cheese I splurge and buy an imported cheese. I've been here over 30 years so I'm pretty experienced in making do with what I can find.