• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deephaven

Deephaven

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have a Paragon and it's not available any longer so I'm no help with specific brand recommendations.   

In an earlier topic on induction ranges, you might check out some of the posts, like this one by @btbyrd and others to give you an idea of things to look for. 

For example, I agree that having more than 10 levels is a big positive, especially if you want to maintain a nice simmer and I also agree that an actual physical knob would be preferable to a touchpad, unfortunately, neither feature is often seen in portable units, especially modestly prices ones. 

The $106 Duxtop burner (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that's the Wirecutter top pick has pretty decent reviews and could be one to consider.  You might also note in their review that they don't highly recommend 2-burner models because the wattage gets split between the 2 burners so you can get both at 50% power or 80%/20% but can't ever run both at 100% power. 

I have the cheaper version of that Duxtop (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I use it almost exclusively for Hot Pot.  To keep water at near boil in a 12" Le Creuset braiser it must be on one of the top three levels, but it has only one little coil in the middle so it's use is better for smaller pans.  I think that is the knock on all of the cheap ones though is that the element isn't very large.

Deephaven

Deephaven

I have a Paragon and it's not available any longer so I'm no help with specific brand recommendations.   

In an earlier topic on induction ranges, you might check out some of the posts, like this one by @btbyrd and others to give you an idea of things to look for. 

For example, I agree that having more than 10 levels is a big positive, especially if you want to maintain a nice simmer and I also agree that an actual physical knob would be preferable to a touchpad, unfortunately, neither feature is often seen in portable units, especially modestly prices ones. 

The $106 Duxtop burner (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that's the Wirecutter top pick has pretty decent reviews and could be one to consider.  You might also note in their review that they don't highly recommend 2-burner models because the wattage gets split between the 2 burners so you can get both at 50% power or 80%/20% but can't ever run both at 100% power. 

I use it almost exclusively for Hot Pot.  To keep water at near boil in a 12" Le Creuset braiser it must be on one of the top three levels, but it has only one little coil in the middle so it's use is better for smaller pans.  I think that is the knock on all of the cheap ones though is that the element isn't very large.

Deephaven

Deephaven