• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An abundance of thyme

MaryIsobel

For some reason, my thyme plants went crazy this year. Looking for something I could do with it other than just drying it. A syrup, compound butter,savory cracker/bisquit/crisp? All are ideas I've had. Extra points if I can give it as Christmas gifts. I know there are a plethora of ideas out there, just curious if there are any tried and true uses.

• Like 1

I've made lemon thyme pound cake that was loved by all. I think I just used a regular recipe and added lemon zest and thyme and made a glaze with the same.

I can't recall the maker, but I often buy a goat cheese that is rolled in a blueberry/thyme thing. I think you could do this yourself--I'd likely get freeze-dried blueberries (or KAF now has a blueberry powder that I haven't tried), add finely chopped thyme and roll a log of goat cheese in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

My first four thoughts were the exact three suggestions you'd floated in the original post, plus the obvious "too much thyme on my hands" Dad joke. (Sorry... but I restrained myself for three hours...) :P

As Christmas gifts go, perhaps put the thyme together with other dried herbs in a suitable mixture, and put them into attractively decorated and labeled jars? Or perhaps a herb jelly that straddles the sweet/savory line?

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

33 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Or perhaps a herb jelly that straddles the sweet/savory line?

I love this idea for gifting!  I see recipes that include lemon, orange or apple, all of which sound like they’d be lovely as part of a cheese or charcuterie board. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I love this idea for gifting!  I see recipes that include lemon, orange or apple, all of which sound like they’d be lovely as part of a cheese or charcuterie board. 

I'm intrigued by the idea of orange and thyme - thank you or the suggestion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

My first four thoughts were the exact three suggestions you'd floated in the original post, plus the obvious "too much thyme on my hands" Dad joke. (Sorry... but I restrained myself for three hours...) :P

As Christmas gifts go, perhaps put the thyme together with other dried herbs in a suitable mixture, and put them into attractively decorated and labeled jars? Or perhaps a herb jelly that straddles the sweet/savory line?

Believe me, I'm with you on the Dad jokes (Mom jokes?) I had to refrain from getting cutesy with the title of my post.😉

• Haha 1