• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

The plane was on time but we took off 25 minutes later than scheduled. Luckily we didn't miss our bus to our final destination. I was so dead tired and about to doze off then partner pointed at something big and black above a sea of clouds. Finally, we saw Mount Fuji! We did try on the very first trip to Japan but it was quite far away (in Hakone).
NL2UVLy.jpg

Yep, that's Mt. Fujji poking its top through the puffy, cottony clouds.
AQBiCLA.jpg

Almost there. Amami-Oshima island. Plane was about to make a turn. The runway is a man-made extension, like many islands, there's no real, totally flat surface that's naturally big enough for a commercial airport's runway.
yfHLwpO.jpg

The flight was gentle and the landing was smooth (the 14 hour one to Tokyo was the same). I had a fright of my life flying from Guadalajara to La Paz (Baja Sur). I think the suicidal pilots busted the landing gear on touchdown, too.
L7DR7XX.jpg

As soon as I exited the aircraft I was blown away by high heat. Thought Tokyo was hot (27C), on Amami it's boiling hot 31+.
FFx4utw.jpg

Immediately round the corner was a display of Amami island's shochu, one of its specialities.
aRymXIc.jpg

2 more hours going through many very long tunnels in an old (70's?) bus to the other end of the island to reach my lodging. Bus got full very soon as it was time young students got out of school. Only saw students and elderly islanders use the bus. Everyone else uses own cars here.
h7SwqL9.jpg

Staying at a "minshuku" (family-run small guesthouse with home-cooked meals) in rural Amami where public bus service is limited and no taxis. 15 minutes after our arrival dinner was served. OMG, rice 3 times a day. I don't eat rice at home but will make an exception for Japan. The owner cooks everything himself and presents it so beautifully, too!

Tuna sashimi. Always begin with sashimi. Tuna is a speciality in this part of the island. There's a big tuna statue at the ferry port.
wE60ZxS.jpg

Fried fish. Fatty fish just like salmon but flesh is completely white. This piece is the collar.
2aUaVKM.jpg

Thought it was a type of melon, until I saw the inside, which was young aubergine.
X4UrVVT.jpg

Tender and mellow
u7wIKT4.jpg

Seaweed
Xiwxz2p.jpg

Soft tofu topped with crunchy, savoury seaweed.
zFEVjCY.jpg

Strawberry conch. A common starter in the Amami archipelago.
wH91IRD.jpg

Fried fish paste next to the conch
LWgtnpn.jpg

Miso soup with clams
BNSvRGn.jpg

A piece of coral as chopstick rest and my first Amami shochu (made from sugarcanes, Amami-Oshima is the biggest producer, other Amami islands have their own versions, also made from sugarcanes.) More about this Amamian shochu.
65aHX5K.jpg

3 days ago I was eating "Oktoberfest food" at home and now I'm eating home-cooked food on a tropical island far away.
Where exactly is Amami archipelago?
qXGDrPz.jpg

This is where the name of the thread comes from. In full it should  be "The Other Japan - Strawberry conch, shochu and snorkeling". Japan's southernmost islands have their own cultures and languages. Their kingdom is now a part of Japan. If you listen to islanders when they speak with each other you'll notice it's not exactly Japanese. They speak own languages with each other, but of course Japanese is the administrative and commercial language.

Map of languages spoken in the archipelagos.
6AdBX8O.png

I always look forward to returning to this fascinating, complex, ENTHRALLING island nation. National Geographic Traveller magazine April 2023 issue. This is Japan's announcement of the official reopening of the country. Previous travel restrictions have been lifted.
c2xNsr9.jpg

The unofficial number one on my list. One that never ceases to surprise and delight.

Everywhere I go
Everything I go
Everyone I know
There's no one like you

On 9/29/2023 at 3:56 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Where is the bridge and tunnel?

In Tokyo.

BonVivant

BonVivant

The plane was on time but we took off 25 minutes later than scheduled. Luckily we didn't miss our bus to our final destination. I was so dead tired and about to doze off then partner pointed at something big and black above a sea of clouds. Finally, we saw Mount Fuji! We did try on the very first trip to Japan but it was quite far away (in Hakone).
NL2UVLy.jpg

AQBiCLA.jpg

Almost there. Amami-Oshima island. Plane was about to make a turn. The runway is a man-made extension, like many islands, there's no real, totally flat surface that's naturally big enough for a commercial airport's runway.
yfHLwpO.jpg

The flight was gentle and the landing was smooth (the 14 hour one to Tokyo was the same). I had a fright of my life flying from Guadalajara to La Pas (Baja Sur). I think the suicidal pilots busted the landing gear on touchdown, too.
L7DR7XX.jpg

As soon as I exited the aircraft I was blown away by high heat. Thought Tokyo was hot (27C), on Amami it's boiling hot 31+.
FFx4utw.jpg

Immediately round the corner was a display of Amami island's shochu, one of its specialities.
aRymXIc.jpg

2 more hours going through many very long tunnels on an old (70's?) bus to the other end of the island to reach my lodging. Bus got full very soon as it was time young students got out of school. Only saw students and elderly islanders use the bus. Everyone else uses own cars here.
h7SwqL9.jpg

Staying at a "minshuku" (family-run small guesthouse with home-cooked meals) in rural Amami where public bus service is limited and no taxis. 15 minutes after our arrival dinner was served. OMG, rice 3 times a day. I don't eat rice at home but will make an exception for Japan. The owner cooks everything himself and presents it so beautifully, too!

Tuna sashimi. Always begin with sashimi. Tuna is a speciality in this part of the island. There's a big tuna statue at the ferry port.
wE60ZxS.jpg

Fried fish. Fatty fish just like salmon but flesh is completely white. This piece is the collar.
2aUaVKM.jpg

Thought it was a type of melon, until I saw the inside, which was young aubergine.
X4UrVVT.jpg

Tender and mellow
u7wIKT4.jpg

Seaweed
Xiwxz2p.jpg

zFEVjCY.jpg

wH91IRD.jpg

LWgtnpn.jpg

Miso soup with clams
BNSvRGn.jpg

A piece of coral as chopstick rest and my first Amami shochu (made from sugarcanes, Amami-Oshima is the biggest producer, other Amami islands have their own versions, also made from sugarcanes.) More about this Amamian shochu.
65aHX5K.jpg

3 days ago I was eating "Oktoberfest food" at home and now I'm eating home-cooked food on a tropical island far away.
qXGDrPz.jpg

This is where the name of the thread comes from. In full it should  be "The Other Japan - Strawberry conch, shochu and snorkeling". Japan's southernmost islands have their own cultures and languages. Their kingdom is now a part of Japan. If you listen to islanders when they speak with each other you'll notice it's not exactly Japanese. They speak own languages with each other, but of course Japanese is the administrative and commercial language.
6AdBX8O.png

I always look forward to returning to this fascinating, complex, ENTHRALLING island nation. National Geographic Traveller magazine April 2023 issue. This is Japan's announcement of the official reopening of the country. Previous travel restrictions have been lifted.
c2xNsr9.jpg

The_unofficial_ number one on my list. One that never ceases to surprise and delight.
Everwhere I go
Everything I go
Everyone I know
There's no one like you

In Tokyo.

BonVivant

BonVivant

The plane was on time but we took off 25 minutes later than scheduled. Luckily we didn't miss our bus to our final destination. I was so dead tired and about to doze off then partner pointed at something big and black above a sea of clouds. Finally, we got to see Mount Fuji! We did try on the very first trip to Japan but it was too far away.
NL2UVLy.jpg

AQBiCLA.jpg

yfHLwpO.jpg

The flight was gentle and the landing was smooth (the 14 hour one to Tokyo was the same). I had a fright of my life flying from Guadalajara to La Pas (Baja Sur). I think the suicidal pilots busted the landing gear on touchdown, too.
L7DR7XX.jpg

FFx4utw.jpg

aRymXIc.jpg

2 more hours going through many very long tunnels on an old (70's?) bus to the other end of the island to reach my lodging. Bus got full very soon as it was time young students got out of school. Only saw students and elderly islanders use the bus. Everyone else uses own cars here.
h7SwqL9.jpg

wE60ZxS.jpg

2aUaVKM.jpg

X4UrVVT.jpg

Tender and mellow
u7wIKT4.jpg

Seaweed
Xiwxz2p.jpg

zFEVjCY.jpg

wH91IRD.jpg

LWgtnpn.jpg

Miso soup with clams
BNSvRGn.jpg

65aHX5K.jpg

qXGDrPz.jpg

6AdBX8O.png

c2xNsr9.jpg

The_unofficial_ number one on my list. One that never ceases to surprise and delight.
Everwhere I go
Everything I go
Everyone I know
There's no one like you

In Tokyo.