• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Not on my table!

palo

WARNING! WARNING!

I do tend to wander off the beaten track on my inet travels

It's a rabbit hole as to how I ended up here:

https://disgustingfoodmuseum.com/most-disgusting-foods-in-the-world/

This is not a "click" to see funniest content!

Century eggs would be the only selection that I might see on someone else's table, having heard of them previously

An interesting side route not to be extensibly explored, but might be found on Google maps 🥸

p

Nothing wrong with prairie oysters although lamb fries are better.

Love century eggs and wish I could get them here.

Durian was interesting but nothing to write home about.

Natto reminded me of really stinky cheese which I like and if available here I'd have it again.

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

These lists, and there are many of them, are stupidly pointless at best, highly offensive at worst. People in culture A eat different things than those in culture B and each often finds the other's unappealing, while preferring what they are accustomed to? Hold the front pages!

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It's a pretty tough read if you don't have a strong stomach. However, as it has been pointed out, cultures vary. Many of these things, as noted, were meant to be medicinal or aphrodisiacs. Some of the others, also as noted became popular because it was all they had to eat. It's less culturally taboo to eat insects or fermented sharks than it is to eat each other.

Hunger is a great motivator. To paraphrase Andrew Zimmern, " If it's there, eat it".

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1