• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

49 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I knew immediately what was meant by the description. I can't get squirrely over culinary 'rules'. Even the Annie's kids boxes, (or adult comfort food), has one that is titled 'shells and white cheddar Mac and cheese'. I've never purchased the elbow shape most seem to think is proper. Too small. I use a larger shape and call it 'Adult Mac and Cheese'. Better cheeses, vegetables and merguez, anchovies, Korean chili flake. 

I visualize more of a preparation Mac and cheese, not necessarily the southern staple.

I just googled 'spaghetti Mac and cheese'. 

This is a cooking forum, not needlepoint or tap-dance. Should be able to think a bit out-side the box. 

FDA regulations require 'enriched macaroni product' on packaging. Some think it should be changed to 'pasta' to reflect a more common usage. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 10.22.26 AM.png

As a kid I thought macaroni was noodles. My stepmother who is native German and French speaker thinks pasta = macaroni - interchangeable.. And now I have the silly lyrics of Yankee Doodle in my head! And of course the "luxury" fad for a while - lobster mac n' cheese. I usually saw it with shells. In the US I think Kraft for many made the blue box the standard meaning of mac n' cheese. 

heidih

heidih

40 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I knew immediately what was meant by the description. I can't get squirrely over culinary 'rules'. Even the Annie's kids boxes, (or adult comfort food), has one that is titled 'shells and white cheddar Mac and cheese'. I've never purchased the elbow shape most seem to think is proper. Too small. I use a larger shape and call it 'Adult Mac and Cheese'. Better cheeses, vegetables and merguez, anchovies, Korean chili flake. 

I visualize more of a preparation Mac and cheese, not necessarily the southern staple.

I just googled 'spaghetti Mac and cheese'. 

This is a cooking forum, not needlepoint or tap-dance. Should be able to think a bit out-side the box. 

FDA regulations require 'enriched macaroni product' on packaging. Some think it should be changed to 'pasta' to reflect a more common usage. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 10.22.26 AM.png

As a kid I thought macaroni was noodles. My stepmother who is native German and French speaker thinks pasta = macaroni - interchageable.. And now I have the silly lyrics of Yankee Doodle in my head! And of course the "luxury" fad for a while - lobster mac n' cheese. I usually saw it with shells. In the US I think Kraft for many made the blue box the standard meaning of mac n' cheese.