• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

This is a simple basic recipe that will have a much longer fridge life than one that uses fresh produce. 5 minute chili paste

I use less sugar. 2 tSp coconut Palm sugar--less sweet and has a caramel scent/taste. I warm the water and steep a chunk of kombu and some bonito flakes at least an hour--strain, then add to the pot. Ginger powder, onion and garlic flake. Amchur is a nice addition, (dried green mango)

My chili flake is med-mild. (my market has a couple dozen brands. Usually small print somewhere on the bag gives the heat level).  I purchase 3pound bags a couple times a year. 

I have dried tiny Thai hots aka birds eye if I want more heat.  

I made a fresh Peruvian green sauce for the weekend. Similar to the Rick Bayless. Half pint went into the freezer this morning for another taco meal or similar. 

We go through lots of chili paste, miso, and chili crisp, kimchi...

Annie_H

Annie_H

This is a simple basic recipe that will have a much longer fridge life than one that uses fresh produce. 5 minute chili paste

I use less sugar. 2 tSp coconut Palm sugar--less sweet and has a caramel scent/taste. I warm the water and steep a chunk of kombu and some bonito flakes at least an hour--strain, then add to the pot. Ginger powder, onion and garlic flake. Amchur is a nice addition, (dried green mango)

My chili flake is med-mild. (my market has a couple dozen brands. Usually small print somewhere on the bag gives the heat level).  I purchased 3pound bags a couple times a year. 

I have dried tiny Thai hots aka birds eye if I want more heat.  

I made a fresh Peruvian green sauce for the weekend. Similar to the Rick Bayless. Half pint went into the freezer this morning for another taco meal or similar. 

We go through lots of chili paste, miso, and chili crisp, kimchi...