• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I read and accept your aversion to rolled oats, but I wonder what your well-meaning mom tried to sell you.   I can't abide sweet cereals or gummy "quick oats".   Nor have I tolerance for breakfasts that take more than 10 minutes.

.  .

Five minutes is about my max. That's why god made toast and we make marmalade. But surprisingly my husband does seem to like making breakfast every so often when we've run out of toastable matter.  He used to make very good waffles, but something happened to the waffle iron and we had to get rid of it.  He's perfected biscuits and now has a popover recipe he's happy with and now is thrilled to be using  the vintage 6-cup popover pan we inherited from his mother who never used it once but who  inherited it from her mother.  I just mosey on down five minutes before the stuff comes out of the oven.  I admit that I have become so lazy in the morning sometimes I can't even bother to make hot tea, so I drink it iced, home-brew kept on hand in the fridge. Just to make sure I pay for my laziness I read the breakfast thread in the morning before getting out of bed.  It's awesome to see how many of you can actually function before 11:00 am. Congrats to @Ann_T, @Senior Sea Kayaker and @blue_dolphinand many others! 

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I read and accept your aversion to rolled oats, but I wonder what your well-meaning mom tried to sell you.   I can't abide sweet cereals or gummy "quick oats".   Nor have I tolerance for breakfasts that take more than 10 minutes.

.  .

Five minutes is about my max. That's why god made toast and we make marmalade. But surprisingly my husband does seem to like making breakfast every so often when we've run out of tastable matter.  He used to make very good waffles, but something happened to the waffle iron and we had to get rid of it.  He's perfected biscuits and now has a popover recipe he's happy with and now is thrilled to be using  the vintage 6-cup popover pan we inherited from his mother who never used it once but who  inherited it from her mother.  I just mosey on down five minutes before the stuff comes out of the oven.  I admit that I have become so lazy in the morning sometimes I can't even bother to make hot tea, so I drink it iced, home-brew kept on hand in the fridge. Just to make sure I pay for my laziness I read the breakfast thread in the morning before getting out of bed.  It's awesome to see how many of you can actually function before 11:00 am. Congrats to @Ann_T, @Senior Sea Kayaker and @blue_dolphinand many others!