• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

typo

On 3/27/2023 at 12:56 PM, Kahrs said:

6. Rolling butcher block: Not sure about this.

I inherited one from a friend that's about 22 x 22 inches and 33 inches tall.  I'm not tall so the shorter height could be handy for some tasks but it's not really big enough for much and I've never had the ideal spot for it.  My friend had it at the end of a run of countertop so there was extra space available. 

7.  Pot filler: Definitely, I cook a lot of pasta.

I cook a lot of pasta but have no desire for extra plumbing that can leak and cause water damage.  Same reason why I'd prefer a combi oven with a refillable reservoir to a plumbed unit.  If the pot filler had an aspirator arm that would drain out the water after cooking, I might change my mind.  It's carrying hot pots full of water back to the sink that I don't like. 

8.  Deep double sink: How deep?  Don't know.

I have a single-bowl, deep sink in my laundry area.  Very handy when I need to soak half-sheet pans and racks.   It would kill my back to be bending down to reach the bottom all the time if my kitchen sink were similarly deep. In the kitchen, I have a 60/40 double-bowl sink in the kitchen.  The 60% side is deeper and the 40% side is more shallow. I use the small, shallow side the most. 

9.  Fridge: Frankly, I don't need a huge fridge.  But the next owner might/would.  Should I leave space for a SubZero and fill in the extra space?

If I had the space, I'd want a full size fridge and full size freezer, side-by side.  If your space is so large that you can leave room for a larger fridge, I'd do it. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

6. Rolling butcher block: Not sure about this.

I inherited one from a friend that's about 22 x 22 inches and 33 inches tall.  I'm not tall so the shorter height could be handy for some tasks but it's not really big enough for much and I've never had the ideal spot for it.  My friend had it at the end of a run of countertop so there was extra space available. 

7.  Pot filler: Definitely, I cook a lot of pasta.

I cook a lot of pasta but have no desire for extra plumbing that can leak and cause water damage.  Same reason why I'd prefer a combo oven with a refillable reservoir to a plumbed unit.  If the pot filler had an aspirator arm that would drain out the water after cooking, I might change my mind.  It's carrying hot pots full of water back to the sink that I don't like. 

8.  Deep double sink: How deep?  Don't know.

I have a single-bowl, deep sink in my laundry area.  Very handy when I need to soak half-sheet pans and racks.   It would kill my back to be bending down to reach the bottom all the time if my kitchen sink were similarly deep. In the kitchen, I have a 60/40 double-bowl sink in the kitchen.  The 60% side is deeper and the 40% side is more shallow. I use the small, shallow side the most. 

9.  Fridge: Frankly, I don't need a huge fridge.  But the next owner might/would.  Should I leave space for a SubZero and fill in the extra space?

If I had the space, I'd want a full size fridge and full size freezer, side-by side.  If your space is so large that you can leave room for a larger fridge, I'd do it.