• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Midlife said:

I think you’ll need to explain further. The bread here is, for me, really just the vehicle to hold the dog, so it’s not that big a deal….. unless I find myself somewhere I can find a brioche or maybe a pretzel bun (NOT at most of my local markets). I just find supermarket hot dog buns to be like folding a piece of white bread around the dog. 

I can not wrap - playing wth words - my mind around a tortilla and a dog as any level of nostalgic food. Supermarket buns I'll agree can be wimpy and ya try to toast them and the sugar content >>>burn. still I want the classic contrast of a soft bread just sturdy enough to hold the toppings and I prefer a dirty water or boiled steamed pup. My dad's company supplied Wienerschnitzel in the early days so that is my taste memory. 

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Midlife said:

I think you’ll need to explain further. The bread here is, for me, really just the vehicle to hold the dog, so it’s not that big a deal….. unless I find myself somewhere I can find a brioche or maybe a pretzel bun (NOT at most of my local markets). I just find supermarket hot dog buns to be like folding a piece of white bread around the dog. 

I can not wrap - playing wth words - my mind around a tortilla and a dog as any level of nostalgic food. Supermarket buns I;'oll agree can be wimpy and ya try to toast them and the sugar content >>>birn. still I want the classic contrast of a soft bread just sturdy enough to hold the toppings and I prefer a dirty water or boiled steamed pup. My dad's company supplied Wienerschnitzel in the early days so that is my taste memory.