• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

First breakfast at the central market in Guadalajara. We sat right in front of the tortilla maker.
jB0Wmhb.jpg

She lifted the tortillas, charred them briefly on a hot surface and into a tortilla basket. Reached over and put the basket on the counter whilst standing in the same spot the whole time.
J8ngB0L.jpg

We can't get a lousy coffee for $2,50 at home

UD7xXeS.jpg

Salsa-drenched sandwich filled with slow-cooked meat/carnitas. I rather this than Porto's version ("Francesinha").
YWlf0Qv.jpg

One of the times that you don't use your bare hands
ciNOOvW.jpg

Transparent shoes. I did see transparent boots in Reykavik.
MWabrZ6.jpg

Many old phone boxes are still around, some are still plugged in.
rr2mvMZ.jpg

The partner is so happy for me being here in fruit paradise.  I can eat fruits in my weight multiple times a day.
Ou84DmJ.jpg

C664gDx.jpg

Never walk away from a coconut stall
9ULFc3e.jpg

Chili shopping at another market far away from the centre. First time seeing habanero seco.
kdWtbXv.jpg

If the seller has a bunch of good quality chillies I make them happy by buying almost every type. He was delighted to see this photo I made of his chilli display.

WvCvwYj.jpg

Chile de Yahualica has Denomination of Origin status.
9jaCyVN.jpg

Lunch at a big restaurant with outdoor sittings and a stage for a mariachi band.
EGuUrIA.jpg

9ZIU2av.jpg

Ordered 2 of their specialities. Goat birria. The other dish is a butter tender cut of beef in a green sauce.
DS0task.jpg

78IMAe2.jpg

Jalisco is the birth place of mariachi. The performance is a big attraction at this restaurant. The stage is in the middle of the outdoor sitting area.
nr2RR1p.jpg

Today we tried another beer bar. It's very small with a few taps. Worthless list of beers without stating the styles and alcohol percentage content which makes it harder to order. We didn't stay long.
SwyeeCJ.jpg

sTXoyP0.jpg

2dGgIas.jpg

Back in my hotel room later. Bought a few bottles at Nacional Morelos taproom in Morelia and took them with us to Guadalajara. Theirs is better than many of the beers here.
f5rhaMT.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

First breakfast at the central market in Guadalajara. We sat right in front of the tortilla maker.
jB0Wmhb.jpg

She lifted the tortillas, charred them briefly on a hot surface and into a tortilla basket. Reached over and put the basket on the counter whilst standing in the same spot the whole time.
J8ngB0L.jpg

We can't get a lousy coffee for $2,50 at home

UD7xXeS.jpg

Salsa-drenched sandwich filled with slow-cooked meat/carnitas. I rather this than Porto's version ("Francesinha").
YWlf0Qv.jpg

One of the times that you don't use your bare hands
ciNOOvW.jpg

Transparent shoes. I did see transparent boots in Reykavik.
MWabrZ6.jpg

Many old phone boxes are still around, some are still plugged in.
rr2mvMZ.jpg

The partner is so happy for me being here in fruit paradise.  I can eat fruits in my weight multiple times a day.
Ou84DmJ.jpg

C664gDx.jpg

Never walk away from a coconut stall
9ULFc3e.jpg

Chili shopping at another market far away from the centre. First time seeing habanero seco.
kdWtbXv.jpg

If the seller has a bunch of good quality chillies I make them happy by buying almost every type. He was delighted to see this photo I made of his chilli display.

WvCvwYj.jpg

Chile de Yahualica has Denomination of Origin status.
9jaCyVN.jpg

Lunch at a big restaurant with outdoor sittings and a stage for a mariachi band.
EGuUrIA.jpg

9ZIU2av.jpg

Ordered 2 of their specialities. Goat birria. The other dish is a butter tender cut of beef in a green sauce.
DS0task.jpg

78IMAe2.jpg

Jalisco is the birth place of mariachi. The performance is a big attraction at this restaurant. The stage is in the middle of the outdoor sitting area.
nr2RR1p.jpg

Today we tried another beer bar. It's very small with a few taps. Worthless list of beers without stating the styles and alcohol percentage content which makes it harder to order. We didn't stay long.
SwyeeCJ.jpg

sTXoyP0.jpg

2dGgIas.jpg

Back in my hotel room later
f5rhaMT.jpg