• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

The next morning in Morelia. Had to hit the market looking for fresh fruits. Going through the food section first was a mistake. Fresh fruits after breakfast then. It was early in the morning so less than half the stalls were open. After walking round and looking 3 times I picked one that had more people eating. The stallholders were vying furiously for customers. The setup is very much like in Oaxaca (but not as atmospheric).
EoohXvG.jpg

Chilli sauce on the counter. Not very hot.
PjXuNc0.jpg

Chicken broth
3iUrcsM.jpg

My second dish being prepared
BwJHzMW.jpg

2BefnkY.jpg

Forgot to ask what this this was on the counter. Green pepper schnitzels?
93yXKfp.jpg

Now I must have fruits. One of the best things about visiting warm countries is eating (tropical) fruits. They are always perfectly ripe and flavourful every time.
54jTObS.jpg

I got mango and melon, in big chunks.
03Vnc1J.jpg

Standard size is tiny pieces. I miss Oaxaca's fantastic fruit stalls. One can get a massive bowl of mixed fruits and other fruity things.
5akZbVY.jpg

My first chicharon taco. Wonderfully light and crunchy.
MfgBchN.jpg

PXge8tr.jpg

2 surtido (mixed meat and probably organ bits as well) and 1 shoulder. This is a busy local restaurant not in the city centre. Had to wait a bit for a table.
p7A6SGo.jpg

Both were good but if I had to choose... surtido.
pfPOfts.jpg

The meat was enough for 2 tacos.
iC1GtCX.jpg

Late in the afternoon at a chocolate place near my lodging. We are desperate for chocolate as we eat it every day at home. Hard to find pure/100% chocolate here. This contains 100% cacao.

Please rise for the national anthem of Mexico. Thanks for the chocolate, chillies, vanilla, corn, avocados, pumpkins and many more!
aZ8WhnV.jpg

Wooden frother
A7nsyGX.jpg

Re limes I buy at home, they come from Brazil. But lately they also come from Spain. It's good to have choices.

BonVivant

BonVivant

The next morning in Morelia. Had to hit the market looking for fresh fruits. Going through the food section first was a mistake. Fresh fruits after breakfast then. It was early in the morning so less than half the stalls were open. After walking round and looking 3 times I picked one that had more people eating. The stallholders were vying furiously for customers. The setup is very much like in Oaxaca (but not as atmospheric).
EoohXvG.jpg

Chilli sauce on the counter. Not very hot.
PjXuNc0.jpg

Chicken broth
3iUrcsM.jpg

My second dish being prepared
BwJHzMW.jpg

2BefnkY.jpg

Forgot to ask what this this was on the counter. Green pepper schnitzels?
93yXKfp.jpg

Now I must have fruits. One of the best things about visiting warm countries is eating (tropical) fruits. They are always perfectly ripe and flavourful every time.
54jTObS.jpg

I got mango and melon, in big chunks.
03Vnc1J.jpg

Standard size is tiny pieces. I miss Oaxaca's fantastic fruit stalls. One can get a massive bowl of mixed fruits and other fruity things.
5akZbVY.jpg

My first chicharon taco. Wonderfully light and crunchy.
MfgBchN.jpg

PXge8tr.jpg

2 surtido (mixed meat and probably organ bits as well) and 1 shoulder. This is a busy local restaurant not in the city centre. Had to wait a bit for a table.
p7A6SGo.jpg

Both were good but if I had to choose... surtido.
pfPOfts.jpg

The meat was enough for 2 tacos.
iC1GtCX.jpg

Late in the afternoon at a chocolate place near my lodging. We are desperate for chocolate as we eat it every day at home. Hard to find pure/100% chocolate here. This contains 100% cacao.

Please rise for the nationa anthem of Mexico. Thanks for the chocolate, chillies, vanilla, corn, avocados, pumpkins and many more!
aZ8WhnV.jpg

Wooden frother
A7nsyGX.jpg

Re limes I buy at home, they come from Brazil. But lately they also come from Spain. It's good to have choices.