• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

21 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Actually Bhavani and likely his engineer are going to be coming on Thursday and driving back to NJ on Friday. Unfortunately they don't have one of their new winnowers to show us - but I've seen the prototype when we were in Italy in 2020 and it's works so much better than other winnowers. But they do have lots of melangers they can bring along with the new stones that have the metal bushings.

I'm really enjoying the new stainless steel model that Kerry described.  It cleans off the sides of the bowl to an impressive degree.  I have not had one particle splash out of the bowl during use, and the melanger managed to grind up even the sticky hard caramel I was mixing with ground almonds (the stickiness was my fault--since then the very helpful @Alleguede has explained how to make hard-crack caramel the right way).  In addition, customer service is great; the tech guy even called a few days later to see how things were going.  Those who already own the previous model should bring their willpower to the workshop as I suspect it will be hard to resist this new version.

Jim D.

Jim D.

20 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Actually Bhavani and likely his engineer are going to be coming on Thursday and driving back to NJ on Friday. Unfortunately they don't have one of their new winnowers to show us - but I've seen the prototype when we were in Italy in 2020 and it's works so much better than other winnowers. But they do have lots of melangers they can bring along with the new stones that have the metal bushings.

I'm really enjoying the new stainless steel model that Kerry described.  It cleans off the sides of the bowl to an impressive degree.  I have not had one particle splash out of the bowl during use, and the melanger managed to grind up even the sticky hard caramel I was mixing with ground almonds (the stickiness was my fault--since then the very helpful @Alleguede has explained how to make hard-crack caramel the right way).  In addition, customer service is great; the tech guy even called a few days later to see how things were going.  Those who already own the previous model should bring their willpower to the workshop as I suspect it will hard to resist this new version.