• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

Significant Eater and I recently spent almost a week in the museum known as city of Florence; Firenze, as it's called in Italy. It's such a great city for walking everywhere that we did not get into a cab, Uber, or public transit even once. That includes our nightly meals, which were in different neighborhoods in the city, but still all within a good, healthy walk.

Arriving around midday on a Sunday was just right.  We were able to check into our apartment a few hours ahead of the standard check-in time, settle in, relax a bit, enjoy the view, etc. etc.  I may have even made a run to the small grocery a block or two away, to stock the fridge with waters, breakfasts and snacks. Think yogurts, fruit, bread for toasting, cheese, etc. I even diverted a bit to a favorite coffee shop, to bring back a bag of freshly ground beans for morning pour-over. The apartment was equipped with the standard Keurig, but I'm not a big fan, so I bring along one of these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), and a stack of filters...light as a feather, and perfect for pour-overs for two.

image.png.db0353c2dbd32af08563f31d023c747b.png

On our first night, we ate late to try to get a little time sync going, at a restaurant just up the street. But first we stopped at a little bar for our aperitivo, something that has become a bit of a tradition when we travel. 

IMG_7793.thumb.jpeg.5a83fe9118aa2bfbdebbb500f2492a8a.jpeg

IMG_7875.thumb.jpeg.e8149f04fe01c321f8bf9ab284110a73.jpeg

Negronis, of course, served as they most often are, with a light snack; classy, don't you think? A trend I wish would appear here, but unlikely to.

Cammillo Trattoria

image.thumb.jpeg.314e17993fa7f5fa28e73f2bf2740727.jpeg

A funny thing happened on the way to that Castello Chianti - they were out of the first two wines I asked for, so we agreed on this one, and it was pretty good. The salumi however, were great.

IMG_7799.thumb.jpeg.5fbb2a1ea8fd2f409a7952ae3e891fef.jpeg

An excellent (shared) primi of tortellini in tomato sauce.

One of my favorites for secondi, along with a side of very well cooked greens...

IMG_7805.thumb.jpeg.a57a65de1907156c16e7c3269bf194ad.jpeg

Agnello alla Scottadito - basically, burn your fingers lamb chops, which were delicious. 

Absolutely recommend this place - pretty darn classic.

weinoo

weinoo

Significant Eater and I recently spent almost a week in the museum known as city of Florence; Firenze, as it's called in Italy. It's such a great city for walking everywhere that we did not get into a cab, Uber, or public transit even once. That includes our nightly meals, which were in different neighborhoods in the city, but still all within a good, healthy walk.

Arriving around midday on a Sunday was just right.  We were able to check into our apartment a few hours ahead of the standard check-in time, settle in, relax a bit, enjoy the view, etc. etc.  I may have even made a run to the small grocery a block or two away, to stock the fridge for with waters, breakfasts and snacks. Think yogurts, fruit, bread for toasting, cheese, etc. I even diverted a bit to a favorite coffee shop, to bring back a bag of freshly ground beans for morning pour-over. The apartment was equipped with the standard Keurig, but I'm not a big fan, so I bring along one of these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), and a stack of filters...light as a feather, and perfect for pour-overs for two.

On our first night, we ate late to try to get a little time sync going, at a restaurant just up the street. But first we stopped at a little bar for our aperitivo, something that has become a bit of a tradition when we travel. 

Negronis, of course, served as they most often are, with a light snack; classy, don't you think? A trend I wish would appear here, but unlikely to.

Cammillo Trattoria

A funny thing happened on the way to that Castello Chianti - they were out of the first two wines I asked for, so we agreed on this one, and it was pretty good. The salumi however, were great.

One of my favorites for secondi, along with a side of very well cooked greens...

Agnello alla Scottadito - basically, burn your fingers lamb chops, which were delicious. 

weinoo

weinoo

Arriving around midday on a Sunday was just right.  We were able to check into our apartment a few hours ahead of the standard check-in time, settle in, relax a bit, enjoy the view, etc. etc.  I may have even made a run to the small grocery a block or two away, to stock the fridge for with waters, breakfasts and snacks. Think yogurts, fruit, bread for toasting, cheese, etc. I even diverted a bit to a favorite coffee shop, to bring back a bag of freshly ground beans for morning pour-over. The apartment was equipped with the standard Keurig, but I'm not a big fan, so I bring along one of these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), and a stack of filters...light as a feather, and perfect for pour-overs for two.

Cammillo Trattoria