• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tempest63

Tempest63

On 11/14/2023 at 11:02 PM, dans said:

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures. Supermarket rotisserie chicken and quinoa salad. Gravy from the dregs of the bag and some stock and seasoning.  Made stock from the bones for soup. Another day of chicken, gravy, etc. 

we store/freeze all our chicken, duck, pheasant etc bones in 1 large bag and all our meat bones in another. When I have sufficient bones to fill one bag I empty it into the slow cooker with 3 to 4 litres of water, a tablespoon of cider vinegar and simmer away for 48 hours. Carrot, celery, onion and maybe a few fresh herbs go in for the last 8 hours. Once cooled drain, leaving behind as much sediment as possible, put in the fridge and next day skim off the fat and split it amongst as many 500ml pots as necessary. Freeze and use as required, home made bone both for stews , curries and gravies.

Tempest63

Tempest63

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures. Supermarket rotisserie chicken and quinoa salad. Gravy from the dregs of the bag and some stock and seasoning.  Made stock from the bones for soup. Another day of chicken, gravy, etc. 

we store/freeze all our chicken, duck, pheasant etc bones in 1 large bag and all our meat bones in another. When I have sufficient bones to fill one bag I empty it into the slow cooker with 3 to 4 litres of water, a tablespoon of cider vinegar and simmer away for 48 hours. Carrot, celery, onion and maybe a few fresh herbs go in for the last 8 hours. Once cooled drain, leaving behind as much sediment as possible, put in the fridge and next day skim off the fat and split it amongst as many 500ml pots as necessary. Freeze and use as required, home made bone both for stews , curried and gravies.

Tempest63

Tempest63

we store/freeze all our chicken, duck, pheasant etc bones in 1 large bag and all our meat bones in another. When I have sufficient bones to fill one bag I empty it into the slow cooker with 3 to 4 litres of water, a tablespoon of cider vinegar and simmer away for 48 hours. Carrot, celery, onion and maybe a few fresh herbs go in for the last 8 hours. Once cooled drain, leaving behind as much sediment as possible, put in the fridge and next day skim off the fat and split it amongst as many 500ml pots as necessary. Freeze and us as required, home made bone both for stews , curried and gravies.

Tempest63

Tempest63

we store/freeze all our chicken, duck, pheasant etc bones in large 1 bag and all our meat bones in another. When I have sufficient bones to fill one bag I empty it into the slow cooker with 3 to 4 litres of water, a tablespoon of cider vinegar and simmer away for 48 hours. Carrot, celery, onion and maybe a few fresh herbs go in for the last 8 hours. Once cooled drain, leaving behind as much sediment as possible, put in the fridge and next day skim off the fat and split it amongst as many 500ml pots as necessary. Freeze and us as required, home made bone both for stews , curried and gravies.