• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

19 hours ago, rustwood said:

secret to his excellent omelettes is that he beats his eggs for the next day before he closes (~2 pm) and stores them in the refrigerator overnight

When I worked the breakfast line in a large restaurant, on weekends we always beat the eggs the day before and stored them just as part of our setup for the busiest days of the week. Not because it made fluffier eggs. And we never salted eggs before they went out to the customer.

14 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

pass your eggs through a strainer after you beat them. 

We always strained the eggs but it was to catch any bits of eggshell not because it made them fluffier.

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Mont St. Michel is quite famous for puffy omelet, but theirs is beat to order in front of you.

One small restaurant that I worked in specialized in fluffy omelets. We beat the living daylights out of them and then finished them on the griddle under a lid. They then had to be served to the customer within one minute or they completely collapsed. They were impressive but a real PIA.

12 hours ago, Alex said:

Salting up to an hour in advance doesn't toughen the eggs at all

As I said before, we never salted eggs before they went out to the customer. In those days we didn't have Teflon egg pans and any salt in the eggs could have damaged the tempering.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

18 hours ago, rustwood said:

secret to his excellent omelettes is that he beats his eggs for the next day before he closes (~2 pm) and stores them in the refrigerator overnight

When I worked the breakfast line in a large restaurant, on weekends we always beat the eggs the day before and stored them just as part of our setup for the busiest days of the week. Not because it made fluffier eggs. And we never salted eggs before they went out to the customer.

13 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

We always strained the eggs but it was to catch any bits of eggshell not because it made them fluffier.

Mont St. Michel is quite famous for puffy omelet, but theirs is beat to order in front of you.

One small restaurant that I worked in specialized in fluffy omelets. We beat the living daylights out of them and then finished them on the griddle under a lid. They then had to be served to the customer within one minute or they completely collapsed. They were impressive but a real PIA.

12 hours ago, Alex said:

Salting up to an hour in advance doesn't toughen the eggs at all

As I said before, we never salted eggs before they went out to the customer. In those days we didn't have Teflon egg pans and any salt in the eggs would have ruined the tempering.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

18 hours ago, rustwood said:

When I worked the breakfast line in a large restaurant on weekends we always beat the eggs the day before and stored them just as part of our setup for the busiest days of the week. Not because it made fluffier eggs. We never salted eggs before they went out to the customer.

13 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

One small restaurant that I worked in specialized in fluffy omelets. We beat The Living Daylights out of them and then finished them on the griddle under a lid. They then had to be served to the customer within one minute or they completely collapsed. They were impressive but a real PIA.

12 hours ago, Alex said:

Salting up to an hour in advance doesn't toughen the eggs at all, but I wonder about eight or twelve hours. Does anyone know if that's been tested?

It's being tested every day in restaurants across the country as that is their standard method of setup for the next day. I'm not a connoisseur of eggs but I never noticed any toughening or that it made them any fluffier.