• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday restaurants in Philly

steflink

Hello everyone:

My husband and I will be in Philly on Sunday, February 16 for a post-Valentine's Day celebration . We'll be staying at the Doubletree near the Wilma. Any dinner suggestions? We've yet to have a bad meal in Philadelphia, having dined at Mortons, Davios, Ruth's Chris, Dante and Luigis, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, La Grolla, the Monte Carlo Living Room, etc. Any recommendations for a Sunday? (We're still waiting to get into Vetris.)

Stephanie

For a romantic meal just after Valentine's, I would recommend Pigalle on North 2nd St in the Northern Liberties section. A classic French Bistro, the restaurant is low lit and sexy, plus has excellent food. For a meal with apps, entrees, dessert and a bottle of wine it will set a couple back about $125. Otherwise, I would recommend Azafran in Queen Village (South 3rd St) for excellent South American/Neuvo Latino in a funky and fun setting. It is BYOB. Hope these help, enjoy our city, it is hard to find a bad meal!

Hi

I'd recommend Bella, an American bistro located at 20th and Lombard. The two female chefs are alums of Striped Bass, and the food is just great. The lounge area is cozy, with great drinks including a pomegranate martini. And it's reasonably priced. Cash only. Be sure to try the braised short ribs. Oh and it's kinda new and shouldn't be very hard to get a reservation at.

sara

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

There are a bunch of great places within walking distance of the Double Tree.

My top-of-mind pick, Tequilla's on Locust Street between 16th and 17th. Tequilla serves regional Mexican - above and beyond what most expect - in a beautifully designed restaurant.

I saw Ruth Chris and Mortons - you've got the Palm a half block away on Broad Street and the Prime Rib in the Warwick/Raddison at 17th and Locust.

There's an excellent Italian restaurant, Cafe 15 something - their name is their address. It's on the 1500 block of Spruce, mid block.

Of course, Susanna Foo for way upscale Chinese. 1600 block of Walnut

If there are any shills about, I'll let her tell you about Striped Bass.

For Saturday or Sunday Lunch - Monk's Cafe on 16th between Locust and Spruce. Belgian influence - all manner of mussles, bunch of burgers, and one of the best selections of Belgian beers you'll find this side of the Atlantic.

And if by any chance you need copies or a banner, Can Do! at 16th and Locust.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If there are any shills about, I'll let her tell you about Striped Bass.

As Lurch used to say, (deep voiced) "You rang?" :laugh:

Sunday Brunch at Striped Bass is a great deal. $26.00 prix fixe 3 courses. Same food as dinner and some more "breakfasty" type items. Check the website at Mealticket.org for sample menus.

In other neighborhoods, I'd suggest The Standard Tap on North 2nd Street. It's just north of Pigalle which was already suggested. Casual but great food and interesting beers on tap. A short car or cab ride from downtown. Other faves include Monk's, as Holly suggested, any number of great BYOB's in South Philadelphia (Cucina Forte, Dmitri's, Langostino) etc. One of my very favorite neighborhod restaurants is The New Wave Cafe. Equal parts funky bar and stylish restaurant in casual surroundings. Chef Ben McNamara is a wizard and the food is top notch.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

So many great responses already, so I will keep my additions to a minimum. Pif, a French bistro in South Phila of all places, is excellent, and many (including myself) rank it above Pigalle (though you cannot go wrong at either place). I would also add Tre Scalini in South Phila. It is an Italian BYO with very authentic, fresh and reasonably priced Italian. Within walking distance to the DoubleTree, I second Tequila's. You simply won't find better Mexican food in the city. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I also remembered another favorite, Jack's Firehouse, open on Sundays. A fun, quirky place with GREAT food-- an old converted fire station, great looking inside, and an actual scull (racing boat) hanging from the ceiling at the bar!! It's on 2130 Fairmount Avenue, about 6 blocks from the BF Parkway, right by the old Eastern State Penitentiary. You will love it!!